Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the Love of Old Houses

For the Love of Old Houses

I'm thinking of iris lilies and Tybee in particular. I happened to run into this Facebook site called For the Love of Old Houses. Such a fun internet meander.

https://www.facebook.com/ForTheLoveOfOldHouses/

They just posted a huge, gorgeous home in Illinois for $164,900.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That is a really neat site to explore. All I could think was of the huge effort and time for maintenance of all four houses.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thanks, Catherine--this looks like a fascinating site!

Nice site! They are all beautiful!

WE raised our kids in a big old house in Wis. It took us 14 years to renovate it due to time and $ constraints. It had 3 floors plus a basement. My kids loved that house.

I've been following that one for several years. I also like this https://www.oldhousedreams.com/. I get lost in there for days at a time. There is a link exchange included where anyone can submit or talk about a house. It's a fun group of people.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I grew up in old houses. My very favorite still is my grandparents' house in Laurelhurst, Portland.
    Grandmother's house 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I grew up in old houses. My very favorite still is my grandparents' house in Laurelhurst, Portland.
    Grandmother's house 2.jpg
    Beautiful home!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Stunning home, Jane!

I think I've decided brick Italianate Victorian is my style. Not quite so frilly as Victorian but stunning staircases and woodwork. My hometown was a railroad town with several brick factories. I drooled all year over a brick Italianate with carriage house but couldn't get my DH to budge from this area. He isn't interested in working on a house....why did I not know this before I married him??? Ha!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Funny to think about now but when we were young, DH and I saw a old gorgeous Cape Cod house in a small town in New England somewhere during one of our camping adventures. All wood construction on a knoll with lovely grounds filled with mature trees all around it.

For years, we kept talking about building or buying one. Once we saw the physical challenges that my parents faced as years went by, we chose to build a single story, brick exterior, so that we could stay in it forever.

Some neighbours had similar ideas and built the dream home of their youth, really regretting it shortly thereafter due to some new health issues that persisted.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information