Page 25 of 58 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Bullet proof body blanket for elementary school children. I’m not kidding. What?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1823308

Forget school supplies, get your kids a bullet proof vest.
    Body armor, backpacks, baseball caps, etc. have all been marketed/sold and then stories written about them (driving both fear and sales) after shootings in the past. It also has driven the opposite craze, with the increase in AR parts, and gun sales (my local gun store sold around 60% of their inventory last week). Shootings drive both groups to spend money, the questions are always who gets the money and what do they do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    It’s kind of funny Alan, all this chest beating about the second amendment. And what has all these firearms done for us as citizens. We’ve basically had our first and fourth amendment rights completely stripped from us without anyone so much as picking up an AR15 to protest.
    We (the general population) did give away quite a lot, by reacting, instead of having patience, and taking time, and agreeing to the patriot act. Now while trying to direct some of that to go away (NSA keeping stuff), we make it a profit center for businesses to keep all their data for the government.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    interesting answer for a conservative. I wish there was never an abortion, but if the Supreme Court decides abortion is legal, or mentally people have a right to gun ownership or a gay young man has the right to marry his male partner, who am I to Say they cannot. The thing about our founding documents though is they were written in a different time. But women have sought abortions whether legal or not since the beginning of time. Just like gun control. Could the founding fathers ever have envisioned AR15’s being sold at big box store and paid for with credit cards? Or young men entering a school full of unarmed children and shooting as many as they can? All of it was totally not in their mind when our young nation was founded. The country is totally different now, for better and for worse.
    You could own a ship full of cannons back then (the equivalent of a battleship). When the Constitution was written, well look up the Girandoni air rifle (the automatic weapon of the day). As for young men attacking a school full of children, look up Indian massacres. They were familiar with wipe outs.
    As for people with mental instabilities getting guns, legally, of that I am on the fence. I KNOW the person that caused Missouri law to change. As an armed guard he shot out the rear window of a fleeing suspect, that had stolen a bottle of liquor. He was given every opportunity to show defense (was their backup lights on, etc) and didn't comprehend anything wrong. His dream was to be a cop (and it was also his nightmare of being shot as one), and back then, the condition was known to us, only as mental retardation. (I am not family so never heard a clinical diagnosis)
    Where I am on the fence is who gets to decide and exactly what are the criteria? If you see someone talking to someone that isn't there, can they have a gun?
    What if you don't see the Bluetooth headset?
    What if they are driving a car that says in god we trust and are praying they don't get shot that day?
    Who gets to be the inspectors to the inspectors and wh
    at are t heir agenda's?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/dicks-spor...ry?id=53403284

interesting development. Dick’s sporting goods will no longer sell these types of weapons, nor to anyone under 21.

interesting development. Dick’s sporting goods will no longer sell these types of weapons, nor to anyone under 21.
    Marketing and image burnishment opportunities abound. You can do as Dicks does. You can also take advantage of the fear of coming controls to sell weapons to stockpilers. You can noisily disassociate yourself from the NRA. If your're a cable network trailing the Hallmark Channel in the ratings, you can generate drama by using grieving schoolchildren as telegenic ventriloquist's dummies to advance your ideological agenda. T-shirts and hats are just a small part of it.

Walmart quit selling "modern sporting rifles" (like the AR-15) and any weapons that accept a high capacity magazine back in 2015. Now Dick's is getting out of that business. I think it will be a while before Bass Pro Shops/Cabelas joins their peers.

WalMart was resisting shareholder initiatives (see WalMart v Trinity Church). Trinity Church, a WalMart shareholder, submitted a formal proposal for the annual meeting of shareholders to vote on a requirement for "the board to oversee the sale of products that especially endanger public safety and well being..." The SEC sided with WMT, issuing a no-action letter permitting WMT to exclude the church's submission from the company's 2014 filings. WMT's legal expenses did not stop there.

Trinity Church went to the U S District Court in Delaware and obtained an order in November 2014 from U S District Judge Leonard Stark directing WMT to put the proposal before the shareholders at the company's next annual meeting.

WMT appealed to the U S Third Circuit Court, where Judge Thomas L. Amber reversed the November decision.

In June of 2015 Dylann Storm Roof killed 9 people in a church in Charleston SC. The revulsion resulting from Roof's gun violence may have been the last straw in changing WMT's position. I hasten to add that Dylann Roof used a .45-caliber pistol, which his father, Franklin "Benn" Roof, had given him as a 21st birthday present. WMT was not a vendor of handguns, thus obviously not a contributing factor in the arming of Dylann Roof.

Incidentally, after photos of Roof holding a confederate battle flag appeared, WMT decided not to sell those flags or other products bearing the southern cross emblem.

The CEO of WMT, Doug McMillan, told CNN, "our focus as it relates to firearms should be hunters and people who shoot sporting clays, and things like that. So the types of rifles we sell and the types of ammunition we sell should be curated for those things."

Trinity Church dropped their legal action against WMT, stating: "Trinity Church is very pleased to hear that WalMart will no longer sell the kind of weapons that have caused such devastation and loss in communities across our country."

I believe WMT sold their inventory of "modern sporting rifles" and have not restocked them.
    Last edited by dado potato; 2-28-18 at 3:55pm.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Marketing and image burnishment opportunities abound. You can do as Dicks does. You can also take advantage of the fear of coming controls to sell weapons to stockpilers. You can noisily disassociate yourself from the NRA. If your're a cable network trailing the Hallmark Channel in the ratings, you can generate drama by using grieving schoolchildren as telegenic ventriloquist's dummies to advance your ideological agenda. T-shirts and hats are just a small part of it.
    And maybe they are just good human beings who sell sporting goods. Maybe they decided these weapons are not sppropriate sporting goods.

Desite the constant bombardment by hysterical statements like “the deep state is conspiring against you”or “the Democrats will take the second amendment away if they regain power” there are good and responsible people out there. They will continue to sell guns. They will continue to sell ammo.
    And maybe news news ratings have nothing to do with accuracy. Maybe people who keep Fox News on all day don’t like to read or go for walks and watch an inordinate amount of TV, boosting the ratings. Maybe they are anti-immigrant and people like to hear that agenda. Or maybe they are anti abortion and that trumps all. Who knows? We certainly all should have learned our lessons about polls and ratings when Hillary was projected to win by a landslide.

Whatever, it is wearisome to try to put a political agenda on everything. If you disagree, never set foot in the store again. Easy.

And your remark about greiving schoolchildren, Trump did not hesitate to use children’s photos to raise campaign funds. Advancing his agenda.

And maybe they are just good human beings who sell sporting goods. Maybe they decided these weapons are not sppropriate sporting goods.

Desite the constant bombardment by hysterical statements like “the deep state is conspiring against you”or “the Democrats will take the second amendment away if they regain power” there are good and responsible people out there. They will continue to sell guns. They will continue to sell ammo.
    And maybe news news ratings have nothing to do with accuracy. Maybe people who keep Fox News on all day don’t like to read or go for walks and watch an inordinate amount of TV, boosting the ratings. Maybe they are anti-immigrant and people like to hear that agenda. Or maybe they are anti abortion and that trumps all. Who knows? We certainly all should have learned our lessons about polls and ratings when Hillary was projected to win by a landslide.

Whatever, it is wearisome to try to put a political agenda on everything. If you disagree, never set foot in the store again. Easy.

And your remark about greiving schoolchildren, Trump did not hesitate to use children’s photos to raise campaign funds. Advancing his agenda.
    I would certainly agree that Mr. Trump is a bloviating poltroon who is quick to exploit tragedy for his own political benefit and self-gratification. Compare his assertion that he would have rushed in bare-handed to Bush Senior complimenting the Japanese on their marksmanship in shooting him out of the sky or Reagan expressing the hope that the doctors about to remove the assassin's bullet were Republicans.

However, Trump is hardly alone in rushing to exploit the situation.

I don't know that Fox has such dominant ratings. At best, they're the tallest man in Lilliput. I sometimes suspect that if they didn't exist it would have been necessary to invent them in aid of crudely caricaturing deplorables for the left to deplore.

Drive by - Jesse Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Drive by - Jesse Davidson.
    Tom Lehrer - The Folk Song Army

Yes, it is interesting to see we've reached a point where rights are fluid. Dick's has affirmed that they will not engage in legal transactions of guns to persons under 21 years of age, an act which I applaud. I just wonder if the ACLU or various State Attorney Generals might consider the action a civil rights violation, much like the sale of cakes or flowers.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes, it is interesting to see we've reached a point where rights are fluid. Dick's has affirmed that they will not engage in legal transactions of guns to persons under 21 years of age, an act which I applaud. I just wonder if the ACLU or various State Attorney Generals might consider the action a civil rights violation, much like the sale of cakes or flowers.
    Haha. While the ACLU might consider it a possble civil rights violation, I guarantee they will not expend any resources to explore the idea thoroughly or to carry it to a court.

They are choosy about the rights they deem worth protecting.

Thread Information