Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes, because they're efficient. In other parts of the world where guns are criminalized, knives and vehicles are more efficient but with the same result, especially in self-defense free zones.
    Yes, guns are most efficient and effective at killing. I agree with you; that is a fact.

Most knives and vehicles have other uses.

What is a "self-defense free zone"?

In other parts of the developed/Western/wealthy world comparable to the United States, there are many fewer deaths by guns, both homicide and suicide.

Williamsmith
    If we are going to rehash the lies that each one of us think are facts, we ought to at least cite references to sources so that we can chose who to believe.

According to the National Air Traffic Controllers Assn. There are 87,000 flights daily. Why do we talk about arming teachers? Let teachers, teach. Did we simply arm pilots and stewardesses after 9-11? We only speak of arming teachers because we refuse to invest the kind of money needed to secure our schools. It’s obvious it can be done.

Sadly, the few children murdered yearly, speaking in relative terms ..... are apparently not worth the investment.

Why do we speak of making new laws which criminals and mentally deranged ignore? Because it makes us look compassionate, miserly but compassionate.

Did someone suggest a way to keep the already existing millions of firearms out of the hands of criminals and mentally deficient? I missed it.

Let’s have a parade and show off our weapons?

What has changed since the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s? I don’t remember hearing about school shootings then. And we use to keep guns in our vehicles during hunting season. It would have been strange to not visit someone’s home that didn’t have a firearm of some sort. And yet the teenagers were not shooting up the school when they got upset.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    What has changed since the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s? I don’t remember hearing about school shootings then. And we use to keep guns in our vehicles during hunting season. It would have been strange to not visit someone’s home that didn’t have a firearm of some sort. And yet the teenagers were not shooting up the school when they got upset.
    You have just described my growing up years. Our school also had a gun club and a shooting range in basement of the school building. I read somewhere that children have not changed, society has changed; guns have not changed, society has changed. Simpler days? I don't think so, things were pretty hard in the 50's, 60's and 70's and maybe life needs to become hard again. Wish I knew the answer but I think societal issues have become so convoluted there is not one answer and there may not be an answer. The roots to the current problems in our country go way deeper than guns and mental health issues.

I agree that the problems of the U.S. go deeper than one thing..........but having the most guns of any other country in the world just makes matters worse.

In the 70s/80s, I was allowed to have firearms on-campus. I had to check them in at the armory, and check them out when I wanted to go use them. I was allowed to use them on school grounds. I was not allowed to keep them in my dorm room, except temporarily. We even used firearms in the classroom - the “ballistic pendulum” experiment in Physics class was quite impressive.

We need to get big money out of politics--campaign finance reform. That's the only thing that will put a stop to the spectacle of representatives as wholly-owned minions of the Koch brothers, the NRA, big Pharma...the list goes on. We have to reclaim our government.

Also, doesn't the military require that new recruits take a course in weapons management and pass a test before they're allowed to carry a firearm? Why isn't that a requirement for civilians, similar to automobile licensing? It's worth noting that one of the first things Trump did as president was reverse President Obama's regulation restricting the mentally ill from owning firearms...

What has changed since the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s?
    Just about everything. What a hell on earth we are creating...

My understanding was that the general trend in gun violence has been down over the last few decades, despite there being significantly more of them in circulation than in the past. The decline in garden-variety homicides having more than offset high-profile mass shootings. Just one of many examples of how our perception of various risks doesn't align with reality.

The military required me to "qualify" on the M-16 and a 9mm handgun back in the 80s. The lessons I took from that experience were that shooting sports are the ultimate in tedium and that (at least for me) carrying a firearm would be more deleterious than enhancing to my personal safety. So Jane may have a point.

Thread Information