Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

If we're going to compare guns to cars maybe we should treat them the same way. I imagine the woman who caused the accident had insurance to cover her liability for harming you. Perhaps we need to require gun owners to have gun owners' liability insurance to cover harm caused if their gun is used to commit a crime.

I wasn't comparing objects as much as expressing an understanding of an unwarranted feeling. I don't think we can insure against that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I wasn't comparing objects as much as expressing an understanding of an unwarranted feeling. I don't think we can insure against that.
    True that. But we can also hold people financially responsible if their weapon is used to harm another person.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    True that. But we can also hold people financially responsible if their weapon is used to harm another person.
    Anyone can bring a civil damages suit against anyone else, are you suggesting this become an automatic outcome outside the judicial system?

Upon reflection, and remembering you're an insurance guy, I'm guessing you're suggesting mandatory liability insurance on every weapon owned. If that's true, should we also require mandatory liability insurance on every knife, every brick, every truncheon type device or any other object that may be used to harm another?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I AM suggesting mandatory liability insurance. Just as exists with cars. If sticks and stones and knives were used for anywhere near the amount of harm as guns i’d suggest that too. But for now that would seem overkill.

I AM suggesting mandatory liability insurance. Just as exists with cars.
    Just like cars huh? I only need to insure my cars if I use them on a public road, not if they spend all their time sitting in my driveway. I have a .40 calibre semi-auto pistol and .38 Chief Special revolver in a lockbox in my house. Do I only need to insure them if I take them out of the box, or maybe only if I take them off my property? Trying to understand how this would work.

Perhaps we need to require gun owners to have gun owners' liability insurance to cover harm caused if their gun is used to commit a crime.
    Insurance is priced by risk and exposure.

Considering how many firearms are in this country (~400 million), and how rarely they cause injuries (~100k cases/year, many of those suicides or suicide attempts or accidental self-injuries), I'd think such a policy would be quite inexpensive. 0.025% are involved in injuries/deaths each year. 1 in 4000. ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4700838/ )

There are ~3 million auto injuries each year in the USA, with ~276 million motor vehicles registered. 1.08% are involved in auto injuries each year. 200x more often than than firearms are.

If insurance companies further rated gun owners like they do automobile drivers, I'd imagine people like myself who have extensive training, extensive collections, and many decades of demonstrated non-injurious use would get great rates. 15 year old males living in inner cities might have higher rates, but they aren't supposed to have guns anyways....

The "you should have firearms liability insurance" proposal is a clear attempt to impose additional burdens of ownership on firearms owners, and stamp out the culture of firearms use in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    maybe because of about 100 gun deaths per day in the US.
    I live in the midst of stand your ground gun culture. I see it being more about power and paranoia than self defense. The paranoia is certainly being stoked by the hysteria on the news day in and day out. When you live in a big senior community everyone is home and knows their neighbors. The streets are patrolled at least three times a day. Any violence or theft is minuscule for the size of the population yet I know many people armed to the teeth and never leave the house without concealed carry.

A big shooting store and range range opened near me. They have a liquor license and a bar. I cannot imagine what could possibly go wrong.
    People abuse rights all the time, but does that mean those rights must be abrogated?

If we are going to go so far as to compare guns to cars, I would suggest that increased gun regulation is to school shootings as recycling paper products is to correcting climate change. There is a much larger cultural issue that romanticizes gun use in the media and in games.

Thread Information