Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Those of you who've said you're willing to give up freedoms, are you willing to give the authorities unfettered access to your medical records, including mental health? That's where the slippery slope could very well lead.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    lots of great posts here explaining everyone’s feelings and the input has remained civil and informative. For once, no one said it was Trumps or Obama’s fault. Because it goes back quite a few presidents and lawmakers on all levels and parties.
    That is because in the end, it is the fault of the one that pulls the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I thought this brought up some good points:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/opini...upp/index.html
    so, in summary, Republicans don't want to go on TV to discuss this because a Democrat is going to wag their finger at them? Therefore no dialog or change can take place? Not buying it.

But if campaign finance was reformed, then we'd have a starting point for politicians to tackle issues realistically.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    But if campaign finance was reformed, then we'd have a starting point for politicians to tackle issues realistically.

Or more likely, they would focus on how to get around the new reforms to keep "their" money coming in and not worry about the job.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    yes. The time to stop blaming everyone is now. But it goes on. An FBI worker does not pass on crucial info about the shooter and immediately calls come for the director to step down. Always a blame game and often not at the person who was wrong.
    Always looking for a politician or appointee to be the scapegoat

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I cringed when this happened - not just for the needless and insane loss of life and the devastated families left behind after this tragedy......but because the inevitable calls from my family in Austria came, on the one hand expressing fear for both my safety in America and my mother's but also rubbing it in my face subtly that they hold better citizenship than I do. This tragedy along with so many others makes me very embarrassed mostly to be in the United States and also makes me feel despair and hopelessness for the future of this country. I have a hard time separating my deep resentments......on the one hand I resent America very deeply for putting it's citizens and legal residents and hey, even illegals too......at constant and seemingly permanent risk of being a victim of such a tragedy due to the damnable 2nd Amendment......

On the other hand, I am really starting to resent my family in Austria for always rubbing it in my face that they hold much better citizenship than I do. They can be just as dense as wealthy Americans, they really can, and I've had my fill of it. I'm working my rear end off in a very hostile and inequitable society - something I started grasping at the age of 8 - I really don't need their smug comments regarding my inadequate citizenship. But they are family, what can I do? And logically, I am cold bloodedly practical enough to know they are very much right in what they say......at least at the moment. And I've always been decent enough to never refer to Austria's dark past in WW2........to be fair America did not go as far as Austria did. We may have forced Japanese folks into camps but we did not kill them.......they could at least see this and respect America for this much even though there is very very very much wrong with it. End of rant.......Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    But they are family, what can I do?
    Good lord, the guy with the fully charged smart phone, can't realize look at the phone number with the out of the country phone code, and don't answer it?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Good lord, the guy with the fully charged smart phone, can't realize look at the phone number with the out of the country phone code, and don't answer it?
    I can't do this to family.......I won't disrespect family this way nor will I disrespect Austria this way. Sorry, no can do. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I can't do this to family.......I won't disrespect family this way nor will I disrespect Austria this way. Sorry, no can do. Rob
    If/when they are insulting you, it isn't disrespecting family, it is respecting yourself and simply not interacting in an abusive situation.
    If caller ID had been a thing, that I would have had, it would have saved me from the deathbed "conversation" (I was wrongly taught not to talk back to dying, it isn't always right), where my great aunt told me how I shouldn't have been born and was so like the rapists in the tree. (and I had never met this woman)

Thread Information