Page 16 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Williamsmith
    Here’s one Alan.....School teacher in Utah negligent discharge of firearm in bathroom. Shot the toilet, got arrested and fired.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...04&itype=CMSID

Williamsmith
    Here’s another: a teacher who also was an active police officer and a combat veteran was carrying concealed in his school when somehow he had an “accidental” discharge while “cleaning” his firearm. First ridiculous to be “cleaning” his gun in the school. Second, how can you be more trained than that teacher was?

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/poli...-gun-accidents

Williamsmith
    Or....An instructor at Idaho State University unintentionally shot herself in a chemistry classroom.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/idaho-s...self-in-class/

if we confine the discussion to School Shootings, I think there are a number of things that, working together, could make the schools much safer: (really) secure campuses, ban violent video games and movies for children, re-cultivate respect for Life and authority at least in our children, get (real) mental health and counseling services into every school.

It is my firm belief that unless there is a concerted effort to bring many of the issues together, none will work. It is a complex issue and requires a complex solution.

As many have pointed out, Ronald Reagan was surrounded by (one assumes) highly trained Secret Service agents when he was almost assassinated. I did read about a church security guard taking out a shooter once, so I suppose it's possible.

Japan is rife with violent video games; it also has stringent rules for owning guns, and almost no gun deaths.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

Japan is rife with violent video games; it also has stringent rules for owning guns, and almost no gun deaths.
    yes, but it is far more convenient to blame media violence, which incidentally numerous players and watchers do not translate into murdering someone. Anything but the insane access to guns by even the mentally ill

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I think there is some basic truth to your opinions, perhaps linked all the way back to our genetic propensity for the survival of the fittest and the role of the male to assure safety and protection. I do think there is a significant difference between wars over territory or wealth, and our mass shootings. Mass shootings seem to be more related to insecurity, revenge and mental instability. It is all pretty insane though.
    yes, who knows why they get to the point that they actually carry these horrific crimes out. Access to firearms so easily does not help.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    if we confine the discussion to School Shootings, I think there are a number of things that, working together, could make the schools much safer: (really) secure campuses, ban violent video games and movies for children, re-cultivate respect for Life and authority at least in our children, get (real) mental health and counseling services into every school.

It is my firm belief that unless there is a concerted effort to bring many of the issues together, none will work. It is a complex issue and requires a complex solution.
    children have been witnesses to violence throughout history. Hangings and burnings at the stake were hugely popular entertainments. Children used to routinely be beat and women too. Spare the rod and spoil the child. Some school districts today allow paddling. Hazing is enormously popular in college fraternities. There will always be violence. Banning movies and video games without banning guns seems misguided, but that is just my opinion.

As as long as we have a president who ridicules people, and calls names and bullies those who do not go along with what he says, and grown ups defend his behavior, respect will not return to our society.

Most mentally ill people who harm someone with a gun are depressed and harm themselves.

we connect mass shootings with mental illness because we assume that anyone who could do such a thing must be mentally ill. Not because these people previously met the criteria for a diagnosed mental illness. It is circular reasoning.

The terms “evil” or “socially maladjusted” might serve as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Most mentally ill people who harm someone with a gun are depressed and harm themselves.

we connect mass shootings with mental illness because we assume that anyone who could do such a thing must be mentally ill. Not because these people previously met the criteria for a diagnosed mental illness. It is circular reasoning.

The terms “evil” or “socially maladjusted” might serve as well.
    +1 and then while we call any random killer "mentally ill" we pretend we aren't stigmatizing mental illness. Oh yes we are. Btw I don't have a mental illness diagnosis, but it's a civil rights movement and those are the arguments.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information