Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

If I were a teacher, I would probably just quit my profession rather than have to carry a gun to defend my students. How insulting!! Why don't we have a conversation about why so many young males think that killing other people is a solution to their own perceived inadequacies and injustices? IMO that's not mental illness but a cultural sickness playing out in how we are raising our sons. They are the ones doing the killing in almost all cases. Why?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    If I were a teacher, I would probably just quit my profession rather than have to carry a gun to defend my students. How insulting!! Why don't we have a conversation about why so many young males think that killing other people is a solution to their own perceived inadequacies and injustices? IMO that's not mental illness but a cultural sickness playing out in how we are raising our sons. They are the ones doing the killing in almost all cases. Why?
    It was nice enough outside to walk. My wife loves to walk and just unload the days events. I am a good listener, usually. Her emotional support classroom has thirteen elementary school age kids. Some of them hump each other, they talk about sex acts, they threaten to kill each other, they tell my wife to go f herself. They get absolutely zip, zero, nada education and they disrupt other classrooms and take up inordinate amounts of valuable time for the principle. Their parents.....absolutely prove the theory of the nut not falling too far from the tree. Guess who will be able to purchase a firearm as soon as they are of age and haven’t been convicted of a prohibited offense? Yep. When I mentioned that to my wife.....she understands why I’d like to see her bid out of the classroom.

I’m not allowed to use an open coil hot plate!

if you are confident enough to have a loaded gun in a room full of students while attempting to teach them anything, you have vastly underestimated the amount of focus required to actually engage students, the amount of attention required to manage student behavior, and the need to be aware of the security of the gun. You are an IDIOT and I don’t want you in charge of anybody’s children.

yes, that is an incendiary comment. I can not communicate my feelings on the matter clearly and accurately in a less confrontational manner.

as stated, I would quit. As a parent, I would remove my children from the school, and I would fight against compulsory attendance like a wild animal - really, you are going to force parents to confine their children to a room with a loaded gun accessible 180 days of the year? Do you know how much effort pediatricians put into trying to make sure parents don’t keep guns where kids can find them? Because they shoot themselves! And each other. Heck, I would charge the school administration with reckless endangerment.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post

if you are confident enough to have a loaded gun in a room full of students while attempting to teach them anything, you have vastly underestimated the amount of focus required to actually engage students, the amount of attention required to manage student behavior, and the need to be aware of the security of the gun. You are an IDIOT and I don’t want you in charge of anybody’s children.

yes, that is an incendiary comment. I can not communicate my feelings on the matter clearly and accurately in a less confrontational manner.

as stated, I would quit. As a parent, I would remove my children from the school, and I would fight against compulsory attendance like a wild animal - really, you are going to force parents to confine their children to a room with a loaded gun accessible 180 days of the year? Do you know how much effort pediatricians put into trying to make sure parents don’t keep guns where kids can find them? Because they shoot themselves! And each other. Heck, I would charge the school administration with reckless endangerment.
    May I upset you further. Most school districts will not divulge to other teachers who is carrying concealed. Yes, as a teacher you will not know which other teacher is carrying. Oh you may have an inkling, based on the bulge you might see or maybe the teacher inadvertently exposes it.

I spent many years carrying a concealed weapon on executive/dignitary protection details where the ability to be inconspicuous and blend into a crowd was an asset. I've carried in restaurants, theaters, sporting events, business meetings, grocery stores, gas stations, office buildings, entertainment venues and anywhere else my principal may have occasion to visit, as well as wherever I may need to stop on my way to and from. I really don't think anyone ever noticed.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post

Wonderful comment spoken from the front line. When I have been in my elementary grandchildren’s classrooms, I am amazed at the amount of effort the teachers are putting in. Plus the love and caring they give. You indeed would have to be extraordinary beyond what most people are capable of to carry out this task safely.

I’m pretty sure no one is carrying in my school - they’d be fired instantly if caught. If that policy changed, my school would need a lot of new teachers. I have yet to talk to one who isn’t horrified at the idea. The “teacher most likely to walk directly at the gunman while attempting to engage him in conversation” did agree today that taking the fire extinguisher from next to her door into her room during a lockdown might be a good idea.

I really am going to leave this thread, because i’m realizing that I am pouring all the limited energy that I am recovering into it. I’ve got a student freshly back from a mental hospital as only one example of people who need my attention in school tomorrow, a daughter struggling with harassment at work, another stressed about her senior thesis, and a husband who just got shifted to 12-14 hour work days. Nothing in this thread is going to feed my soul and nothing I say here is likely to change anything that matters to me. Carry on.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I spent many years carrying a concealed weapon on executive/dignitary protection details where the ability to be inconspicuous and blend into a crowd was an asset. I've carried in restaurants, theaters, sporting events, business meetings, grocery stores, gas stations, office buildings, entertainment venues and anywhere else my principal may have occasion to visit, as well as wherever I may need to stop on my way to and from. I really don't think anyone ever noticed.
    Your level of experience and training is exactly what a school needs to confront a mass shooter. I have doubts about the ability of most school teachers to meet those qualifications. Anything less is unacceptable. You would make an excellent school Marshall. Most teachers make excellent teachers. The rare person who makes both is going to be difficult to find.

And then theres the teachers unions........oh boy.

Chicken Lady- excellently said!

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    The armed security guard NEVER WENT INTO THE SCHOOL

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/22...riff-says.html

this is a problem with arming people. You have to have a tremendous amount of courage and conviction to engage an active shooter. This guard stayed outside knowing these kids were being slaughtered. I know some people think they would have the guts to go on, but I can tell you right now, I cannot imagine any amount of training would have gotten me to run into this situation. Maybe highly trained military special forces have the guts. I suspect many average citizens don’t.
    It will be interesting to see if there was a law that required him to enter or if he ends up suing the former employer. The supreme court ruled constitutionally, LEO's have no duty to protect, which is one reason why I expect Alan would argue that having the choice to arm yourself, shouldn't be illegal.
    That said, did Trump make an executive order, or is this something that has to go through the process, and is along the lines of "we are going to build this wall", without the financing/congress backing to fund/do this?
    I would honestly expect if the Fed's came down with "bonuses" for armed teachers, that that, wouldn't change most teachers views one way or another. If they are antigun, they wouldn't get one, if they believe in their right to carry, they might and I expect that "bonus" money would go towards liability insurance. (sure the school districts don't plan on footing the bills)
    I would also expect that a higher percentage of teachers who did carry, either had former military service, or went out and took some training. I do not expect a big push via local taxes for that.

I am sitting here falling asleep typing this. Might be some long work weeks for a while, due to a firing.

Thread Information