Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 526

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

  1. #331
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,326
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Correct, but I wanted to also make it clear about shipping already owned, or family owned/inherited firearms. Sorry for the confusion, been on 13 hour days this week and getting ready for another 6 of those.
    I had to do this when clearing out my grandfather’s estate, I had to bring a printout of that regulation and walk the postal people through it. When the counter clerk looked up in the large post office and unthinkingly yelled down to his supervisor at the far end “he’s got guns, I need help”, the clerk and I both paused, then moved very very slowly :-)

  2. #332
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,357
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    The Germans wanted to ban these shotguns for use in war. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1897

    So im sure that if there is a will, there is a way for someone to kill if they chose. They will find a tool to get the job done.
    You didnít answer my question

  3. #333
    Senior Member dmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    You didn’t answer my question
    i do own a modern sporting rifle if that was your question. It functions the same as my BAR 7mm mag that I bought to go elk hunting.

    Ive shot it at the range also, but it’s not as accurate as some of my other rifles.

    And im not concerned about anyone coming to get me or whatever you were wondering about.

    I’m much more concerned by teens driving while looking at their phones. We should require that their phones are disabled if they are traveling over 5 mph. That would save many more lives than a ban on scary looking rifles.

  4. #334
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,326
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    I’m much more concerned by teens driving while looking at their phones. We should require that their phones are disabled if they are traveling over 5 mph. That would save many more lives than a ban on scary looking rifles.
    I think we should ban the sale of cell phones to people under the age of 21. Apparently 11 children a day die from texting-and-driving. http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.c...-driving-stats

    Heck, we probably shouldn’t be letting teens/children drive at all, so no licenses until 21 too!

  5. #335
    Senior Member dmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think we should ban the sale of cell phones to people under the age of 21. Apparently 11 children a day die from texting-and-driving. http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.c...-driving-stats

    Heck, we probably shouldn’t be letting teens/children drive at all, so no licenses until 21 too!
    And they obviously aren’t mature enough to vote.

  6. #336
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,357
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    i do own a modern sporting rifle if that was your question. It functions the same as my BAR 7mm mag that I bought to go elk hunting.

    Ive shot it at the range also, but it’s not as accurate as some of my other rifles.

    And im not concerned about anyone coming to get me or whatever you were wondering about.

    I’m much more concerned by teens driving while looking at their phones. We should require that their phones are disabled if they are traveling over 5 mph. That would save many more lives than a ban on scary looking rifles.
    Regardless of what you are shooting, if it is game or targets I have no problem. Stockpiling in your case does not seem paranoid or odd. I just wondered of the type of guns you use are similar to the ones that can take out a crowd from a high window or multiple students quickly. I have never held or shot a gun and I have no idea what any of them are
    I think that is why we have so many problems. I have no clue about guns. Like I said the second amendment I believe should stay in place, perhaps with some clarification when deeded.
    The crazy either Ban All Guns or the NRA saying Obama or Hillary means the end of the second amendment are the extreme positions. I don’t think either of these extremes is where we will end up.

    Agree about the phones. There should be a lockout above a few MPH. But then what about a passenger?
    also, driving and eye tests once you reach 80, more severe penalties for drunk driving, nothing extreme, just safety.

  7. #337
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,357
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think we should ban the sale of cell phones to people under the age of 21. Apparently 11 children a day die from texting-and-driving. http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.c...-driving-stats

    Heck, we probably shouldn’t be letting teens/children drive at all, so no licenses until 21 too!
    in some states kids younger than that drive farm equipment. Raising the age to 21 might pose problems for teens who hold jobs though.

  8. #338
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,326
    I have firearms I inherited from elderly relatives that would be quite suitable for engaging multiple targets rapidly, and capable of extended periods of continuous fire. They were made in the 1800s.

    I also have a Colt Gatling gun from 1877 that would be quite efficient at such things. They cost $50k-$100k these days, and each round fired costs about $1, so at full speed it’d run you about $1k/minute to fire. The effective range is perhaps 1500 yards. I am unaware of any being used in criminal acts recently.

  9. #339
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,326
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    in some states kids younger than that drive farm equipment. Raising the age to 21 might pose problems for teens who hold jobs though.
    Raising the age for rifles to 21 poses similar issues for rural residents. My daughter had her first rifle at 10 or so. At my very rural high school, we were able to check out our rifles from the school storage lockers when we went out to do our ranch chores.

  10. #340
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,814
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Like I said the second amendment I believe should stay in place, perhaps with some clarification when deeded.
    The beauty of our Constitution is that it grants no rights, it limits government's ability to violate your inherent rights. Once you start clarifying I'm afraid all inherent rights then become privileges, available only to our overseers.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •