Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Kids from loving nurturing homes will do well regardless of intact family or not. Churches can be part of that for religious people but aren’t a necessity. All families need a good support system, decent daycare or after care and a reasonable work schedule so parents aren’t too exhausted to do their best as parents. Plus some kids turn out bad due to drugs or despite having the best upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I can see where some would think so, but I've gotten this far without arming myself to the teeth, and I'll carry on.
    That's ok, if circumstances change and you become a target you can change your mind, at least currently.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Kids from loving nurturing homes will do well regardless of intact family or not. Churches can be part of that for religious people but aren’t a necessity. All families need a good support system, decent daycare or after care and a reasonable work schedule so parents aren’t too exhausted to do their best as parents. Plus some kids turn out bad due to drugs or despite having the best upbringing.
    Yes, nothing is fool-proof, but we can improve the odds of success if we try. Or to paraphrase Benjamin Franklin, if we stop making people so comfortable in their poverty (economic or moral) they gain incentive to improve themselves.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That's ok, if circumstances change and you become a target you can change your mind, at least currently.
    I can't envision a situation where 1) I would need a gun to defend myself, or 2) I would have it at the ready to deploy.

Maybe if I were hiking alone, or traveling in a wilderness area. (Which would have never happened.) But even then, I wouldn't be packing an AR-15.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Maybe if I were hiking alone, or traveling in a wilderness area. (Which would have never happened.) But even then, I wouldn't be packing an AR-15.
    I don't have one either, but if I ever needed a nice varmint rifle it would be a good choice, albeit a scary looking one.

Yes let’s blame the poor. A favorite pastime of conservatives and republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Yes let’s blame the poor. A favorite pastime of conservatives and republicans.
    I don't blame the poor, I blame the systems and "empathetic" enablers which guarantee they stay that way. Maybe I haven't made that clear enough.

I don't blame the poor, I blame the systems and "empathetic" enablers which guarantee they stay that way. Maybe I haven't made that clear enough.
    The poor wouldnt be poor if only we made being poor more unpleasant so that they would be inspired to stop being poor?

all the more reason not to trust those who wish to take away your means of self defense
    I was just reading about "Make My Day Laws" which are on the books in various states (MT, CO, OH, FL, TX, probably others as well). Under certain circumstances the occupant of a dwelling is justified for the use of deadly physical force against an intruder in a residence. The circumstances may vary somewhat from state to state, but in general:
    1. the intruder made a knowing, unlawful entry into the dwelling, and
    2. the occupant reasonably believed the intruder was committing or intended to commit an additional crime against a person or property in the dwelling, other than the unlawful entry, and
    3. the occupant reasonably believed the occupant might use physical force against any occupant.

In Loveland CO, in February 2019, a man named Guzman was at home. Three intruders stole a toy helicopter he had bought as a gift for his son. He went to another room, got his 12 ga. shotgun and loaded it. By then the 3 intruders were leaving the property, and he fired two blasts, killing one and seriously wounding another. He has been charged with murder. Perhaps his lawyer will use the "Make My Day" defense... but the problem is the bad guys were running away by the time Guzman shot them.

It may be that Guzman used his firearm precipitously, with a misunderstanding of the legal justification for the use of deadly force in his jurisdiction.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The poor wouldnt be poor if only we made being poor more unpleasant so that they would be inspired to stop being poor?
    Something like that, think generationally.

Thread Information