Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't think there is an easy fix as I think this is a multi-faceted societal problem. Those who hope for an easy fix are the ones blaming guns and the NRA and constantly referring to those who disagree with them as gun nuts.

I've come to believe that further discussion on the subject with 'easy fixers' is pointless.
    Okay, thanks for clarifying. Calling this a multi-faceted society problem is right.

I call the gun nuts gun nuts and I call the gun grabbers gun grabbers.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

easy fixers are focusing on what they see as actually doable though. "We have to change the entire of U.S. society" makes one well not a pragmatist anyway. yea, yea, even if there is some truth to it. Gun control has worked some places like Australia with somewhat similar societies (ex-british afterall). But very different societies do handle things differently - I just don't' see any path here to there though.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Interesting outlook by Malcolm Gladwell:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ds-of-violence

and good commentary on it:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...t-explanation/

reading Crime and Punishment (Dostoevsky) in high school, and as required reading too, was almost more than my poor teenage mind could take.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

So get this.

My buddy from the old neighborhood, the one with all the alcohol and lifestyle problems got into a real fracas last Sunday. Some of his house guests (local junkies) had a go with some of the other neighbors.

Knives were pulled and put to people's throats, cars were attempted stolen, guns were pulled on people, the EMS was called out, the sheriff was called out, many people were involved in the scuffle and much yelling and threatening happened.

A portion of this was apparently caught on video. I can't wait to see it!

My buddy was eventually charged with "disorderly conduct" and "weapons while intoxicated" (whatever those mean). Anyway, by Monday afternoon he was out having plead no contest. He got a $250 fine (I think his parents paid it). And he also got 2 years of no-check-in probation.

Somehow him pulling a gun on someone whilst he was intoxicated is not enough to revoke his CCW.

This is a no nonsense, easy fix to gun laws. If someone gets a weapons while intoxicated charge they ought to have their CCW frickin' revoked!
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    This is a no nonsense, easy fix to gun laws. If someone gets a weapons while intoxicated charge they ought to have their CCW frickin' revoked!
    https://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/20...2315-68af.html

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/g.../2004-046.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Somehow him pulling a gun on someone whilst he was intoxicated is not enough to revoke his CCW.

Are you sure you know the whole story?
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.128
    (a) If a licensee holding a valid concealed handgun license is arrested for or otherwise charged with an offense described in division (D)(1)(d) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code or with a violation of section 2923.15 of the Revised Code or becomes subject to a temporary protection order or to a protection order issued by a court of another state that is substantially equivalent to a temporary protection order, the sheriff who issued the license shall suspend it and shall comply with division (A)(3) of this section upon becoming aware of the arrest, charge, or protection order. Upon suspending the license, the sheriff also shall comply with division (H) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.
    The referenced ORC 2923.15 deals with Using Weapons While Intoxicated.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Are you sure you know the whole story?
    My guess would be that he pled to a lesser charge.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My guess would be that he pled to a lesser charge.
    Perhaps, but UL specifically said he was charged with "weapons while intoxicated" and went on to say he pled no contest, then implies that there were no ramifications involving the person's Concealed Carry Permit, further implying that laws are not sufficient to protect the public from his friends irresponsible behavior.

I believe this story was presented incorrectly.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Perhaps, but UL specifically said he was charged with "weapons while intoxicated" and went on to say he pled no contest, then implies that there were no ramifications involving the person's Concealed Carry Permit, further implying that laws are not sufficient to protect the public from his friends irresponsible behavior.

I believe this story was presented incorrectly.
    The newspaper reported the charges.