Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 526

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

  1. #101
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Be careful in your interactions with this guy Rob, anyone with a grudge that big resting on their shoulders could easily snap. We don't want to be reading about you in the newspapers.
    Thank you for your concern Alan, I mean this sincerely. This man would not hurt a fly -he represents no danger. A dangerous person would be plotting revenge and seething with anger - this man just wants out of this society and to start over elsewhere. He's been pushed to this stance through no real fault of his own - if anything I'd be questioning a society that would allow such a high income, productive, tax paying person to be reduced to this, pushed to this, and screwed over to this level. Rob

  2. #102
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,643
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    This man would not hurt a fly -he represents no danger.
    Famous last words. Be careful.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #103
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    If you look at mass shootings, especially in schools, there is one fact that stands out above all others, passive defense measures result in higher body counts than active defense measures. At Virginia Tech there were 6 classrooms targeted, 3 employed active countermeasures and 3 did not. There were 2 fatalities in the active rooms and 28 in the passive rooms as the shooter was able to walk through the rooms casually shooting cowering victims, the harder target in the active rooms saved many lives. Hardening any target works.
    Hardening the targets? What about disarming the shooters? Tonight I watched the local Florida news. They were interviewing teachers. One cried as she talked about watching her student die, she was to lose three students in the rampage. You honestly think kids are going to be OK if a teacher starts opening fire? War veterans have PTSD and they are trained adults. Kids would surely be damaged watching even more carnage. These kids will never be the same.
    This is not a video game or a movie. This is real life. Young men and women who are our future, our promise. They deserve to walk down a street, go to a church, movie theater or school and not have some angry crazy white gun toting guy shoot everybody up.
    Where is your compassion for these young kids? So you handled guns your whole life. Most of us are not part of the gun culture. If I saw a person shoot an innocent child I donít know if I could bear to live I would be so overcome with horror and grief. What does it do to young people o walk through metal detectors and see armed guards.

    A few weeks After 9/11 I was in the Miami airport. There were armed guards walking around. It did not for one second comfort me. On the contrary it made me feel vulnerable and incredibly sad.

    I hope these young kids take this to the max and keep in everybodyís face. Itís time to do something different. What we are doing is not working. Since the first shooting there have been many more. For what? What are you defending yourself against? After Obamaís was elected there was a huge run on ammo and guns as people thought they were going to have their guns confiscated through martial law. Ridiculous. Rumors and lies have made us a pathetic society who cannot even keep innocent schoolchildren safe. I am ashamed.

  4. #104
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,643
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Hardening the targets? What about disarming the shooters? Tonight I watched the local Florida news. They were interviewing teachers. One cried as she talked about watching her student die, she was to lose three students in the rampage. You honestly think kids are going to be OK if a teacher starts opening fire? War veterans have PTSD and they are trained adults. Kids would surely be damaged watching even more carnage. These kids will never be the same.
    This is not a video game or a movie. This is real life. Young men and women who are our future, our promise. They deserve to walk down a street, go to a church, movie theater or school and not have some angry crazy white gun toting guy shoot everybody up.
    Where is your compassion for these young kids? So you handled guns your whole life. Most of us are not part of the gun culture. If I saw a person shoot an innocent child I don’t know if I could bear to live I would be so overcome with horror and grief. What does it do to young people o walk through metal detectors and see armed guards.

    A few weeks After 9/11 I was in the Miami airport. There were armed guards walking around. It did not for one second comfort me. On the contrary it made me feel vulnerable and incredibly sad.

    I hope these young kids take this to the max and keep in everybody’s face. It’s time to do something different. What we are doing is not working. Since the first shooting there have been many more. For what? What are you defending yourself against? After Obama’s was elected there was a huge run on ammo and guns as people thought they were going to have their guns confiscated through martial law. Ridiculous. Rumors and lies have made us a pathetic society who cannot even keep innocent schoolchildren safe. I am ashamed.
    We've banned and criminalized at various times alcohol and illegal drugs without much success. Some of us have suggested we change societal norms, using social and peer pressure to influence anti-social behaviors but all that gets is accusations of intolerance, racism, sexism and religious fundamentalism (even if you're an atheist). The only other thing I can think of is to ensure innocent targets have the protection they deserve, and I think that a teacher using a legal weapon to save their lives would be well remembered as the students grow. My level of compassion in wanting them to survive at any cost may seem strange to some, but there it is.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  5. #105
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    We've banned and criminalized at various times alcohol and illegal drugs without much success. Some of us have suggested we change societal norms, using social and peer pressure to influence anti-social behaviors but all that gets is accusations of intolerance, racism, sexism and religious fundamentalism (even if you're an atheist). The only other thing I can think of is to ensure innocent targets have the protection they deserve, and I think that a teacher using a legal weapon to save their lives would be well remembered as the students grow. My level of compassion in wanting them to survive at any cost may seem strange to some, but there it is.

    i am not convinced. We own so many guns already, far more in proportion to other developed countries. When was the last time you heard of multiple mass shootings in Australia, UK, Germany and so on. If guns don’t kill people, people do why are we not seeing slaughters in these low gun ownership countries by native born young men?

    https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/ameri...ics/index.html

    maybe some war veterans could weigh in. My experience working at the VA and having Vietnam vets as friends did not show that exposure to death was a good thing. It haunts many people forever.

    We’ve been doing it your way for a while, building up Arsenals. It is not working.

  6. #106
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,856
    I always find fascinating the argument that if we make owning guns criminal only criminals will own guns and therefore ti's pointless. After all, we've made robbing banks, breaking into houses, stealing cars, raping people, etc, illegal, and yet still people persist in doing those things. But no one has proposed that those laws are a wasted effort and should be repealed.

  7. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,380
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I always find fascinating the argument that if we make owning guns criminal only criminals will own guns and therefore ti's pointless. After all, we've made robbing banks, breaking into houses, stealing cars, raping people, etc, illegal, and yet still people persist in doing those things. But no one has proposed that those laws are a wasted effort and should be repealed.
    Those others are not rights spelled out in our founding documents.
    If you want to compare to something that would cause as much argument if repealed, lets discuss something that people believe this president to be and would expect him to support. Making guns illegal, would be tant amount to repealing the 13th, 14, and 15th amendments.

  8. #108
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Those others are not rights spelled out in our founding documents.
    If you want to compare to something that would cause as much argument if repealed, lets discuss something that people believe this president to be and would expect him to support. Making guns illegal, would be tant amount to repealing the 13th, 14, and 15th amendments.
    But people never say it that way. They always say "well, what the eff is the point of outlawing guns since outlaws will always have guns anyway... It's just hopeless. oh my, thoughts and prayers... That's the best we can do..." I'd much rather they be honest and say "your dead kids are sacrificing their lives so that I can own a bunch of damn guns." But of course that's not the way they say it because they'd sound like psychopaths.

  9. #109
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    2,975
    In my mind, New gun control laws are a given. It’s just who is going to get to take credit. Trump is moving forward aggressively with the bumpstock regulatory ban by ATF and Feinstein can’t stand that he might get the credit for it so she’s insisting that Congress get to act on it. That’s just the start.

    And now, I going to put my tinfoil hat on and tell you that Congress and the President and the supreme Court do not function as independent counter balances anymore. Because there are no personal secrets that the intelligence community doesn’t know. If the FBI wants more gun control......and they do.....they will get it with the help of NSA metadata. We already have the ability to bypass due process thanks to 9/11 and the FISA Court. It’s just like shooting politicians in a barrel. All this was happening before but now it’s out in the open because Trump didn’t know how to play the game.

    And now I return you to your regularly scheduled programming.........

  10. #110
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,555
    I can't express myself as well as many of you here. But I just want to say that I am totally distressed that some gun owners can't give one small iota to try to help a horrendous-out of control situation. I mean give me an f'ing break........assault rifles???? You can't even give a centimeter on that. You keep referring to the second amendment. Well, then, maybe everyone who screams that it's their right, should be allowed all the muskets they want. Not only is it ridiculous to allow a right to something that was in a totally different world when that amendment was made, but how can you possibly think that controlling some guns somehow cannot be any part of a solution?

    I'm astounded at the difference of our minds here. Are some gun owners so paranoid that they can't see past their own fears? Are they so rebellious that they'll be damned if anyone tries to take away all their weapons..........even the ones that were meant for war? I can only shake my head in disbelief and sadness that we have come to the point of absolutely wanting nothing done to stop this carnage........other than more people using more guns. Unbelievable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •