Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

They are choosy about the rights they deem worth protecting.
    In this era I've come to expect a high degree of virtue signaling, I'd just expect a little more consistency in how affirmed rights are protected. Or perhaps we're beyond that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Michigan Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act

There was a case a few years ago, I went Googling for: https://www.aclu.org/news/aclu-sues-...discrimination

Seems a Michigan reservist would be the right case against any of these companies, for selling products they stock.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

I don't know that Fox has such dominant ratings. At best, they're the tallest man in Lilliput. I sometimes suspect that if they didn't exist it would have been necessary to invent them in aid of crudely caricaturing deplorables for the left to deplore.
    Only 5 companies own 90% of all the media outlets, so, yes, what you see on TV is carefully designed to bring the most people under the Big Top. Nothing to do with "news" at all.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Only 5 companies own 90% of all the media outlets, so, yes, what you see on TV is carefully designed to bring the most people under the Big Top. Nothing to do with "news" at all.
    This meme gets repeated a lot, presumably to alarm us that we are all puppets of a few corporate overlords. They never tell us whether "control" is market capitalization, some form of viewership/readership/eyeballs/listenership, etc. Just an ominous "control" The Meme Policeman website has an interesting story of it's genesis.

http://memepoliceman.com/corporate-media-control/

Whether true or not, this factoid is irrelevant. There is no Big Top. It's more like a sideshow with lots and lots of barkers. You can chose between right-wing or left-wing outrage, the course of true love, the lives of alligator hunters or house flippers, old movies, new movies and ever more obscure sports. You can find more diversity of opinion and variety now than in the era of the big three broadcasters and the "fairness doctrine". Imbuing Fox News or any other source with eldritch powers over the minds of the masses is simply ridiculous. Do you care more about what Disney or Comcast thinks, or do they care more about what you think?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    This meme gets repeated a lot, presumably to alarm us that we are all puppets of a few corporate overlords. ...Do you care more about what Disney or Comcast thinks, or do they care more about what you think?
    I learned about this meme before memes were memes, at least in terms of how we view them today as part of the internet culture. On vacation in Vermont in the early 2000s (so Frugal Dad was absolutely NOT the first reference) I saw a film sponsored by Action Committee for Media Education. I can't even remember what the name of the film was, but it was pretty compelling. And my own experience in marketing corroborates the efficacy of media to "educate" people to an intended message.

There is no doubt about it, we may not be walking zombies, but you have to be naive to believe that in our media-saturated culture our choices are 100% freely made. Or that the conclusions we come to are not influenced by click-bait sound-bytes repeated ad nauseam by the top of the media chain.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I learned about this meme before memes were memes, at least in terms of how we view them today as part of the internet culture. On vacation in Vermont in the early 2000s (so Frugal Dad was absolutely NOT the first reference) I saw a film sponsored by Action Committee for Media Education. I can't even remember what the name of the film was, but it was pretty compelling. And my own experience in marketing corroborates the efficacy of media to "educate" people to an intended message.

There is no doubt about it, we may not be walking zombies, but you have to be naive to believe that in our media-saturated culture our choices are 100% freely made. Or that the conclusions we come to are not influenced by click-bait sound-bytes repeated ad nauseam by the top of the media chain.
    There's plenty of doubt about it. Is all that piffle being forced upon us by masterminds from the top down, or bubbling up from the fever swamps below before Big Media becomes aware of it?

I question the power of the professional chattering classes to control the minds of the masses. They did their level best to make Donald Trump into a sort of nightmare monster, and in the process probably aided his cause more than hindered it. A substantial percentage of voters listened and decided he was the monster they were looking for. I think by and large people chose the media sources they want to believe rather than submit glassy-eyed to the whims of a few CEOs, weaponized Russian BS or weeping late-night show hosts.

In the Wisconsin State Assembly (Legislature) a new bill has been sponsored to authorize family members to enlist the aid of law enforcement to remove firearms and ammo from another family member if they perceive "red flags" in his/her behavior. It is considered a "common sense" response to gun violence, which will not be regarded as a threat to responsible, safe owners of firearms.

Because I'm guessing every angry yahoo with a grudge doesn't constitute a "well-regulated militia."

From Wikipedia: The Army National Guard (ARNG), in conjunction with the Air National Guard, is a militia force and a federal military reserve force of the United States.

I'm pretty sure the Founding Fathers would sign off on this fitting their definition.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Because I'm guessing every angry yahoo with a grudge doesn't constitute a "well-regulated militia."

From Wikipedia: The Army National Guard (ARNG), in conjunction with the Air National Guard, is a militia force and a federal military reserve force of the United States.

I'm pretty sure the Founding Fathers would sign off on this fitting their definition.
    I’m pretty sure the Supreme Court went into some detail on this:

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/554/570/

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I’m pretty sure the Supreme Court went into some detail on this:

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/554/570/
    Predictable, given the makeup of the court, but wrong, IMO. I agree with the minority here.

Thread Information