Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Oliver North, newly appointed president of the National Rifle Association, was interviewed by "The Washington Times". As reported by MSN News 5/10/18, North takes umbrage in response to the activism of Parkland survivors. "This kind of thing" North calls "civil terrorism".

According to the MSN account:
    Since the 14 February school shooting in Parkland FL that left 17 dead, teenage survivors of the shooting have repeatedly criticized the NRA on Twitter for its decades-long campaign to block stricter gun laws. They have also pushed companies to break ties with the NRA and companies that manufacture military-style weapons.
    "They can do all the cyberwar against us -- they're doing it," North said. "They can use the media against us -- they are. They've gone after our bank accounts, our finances, our donors, and obviously individual members. It's got to stop."

Ah, Oliver North, traitor extraordinaire - but I guess after Moses, there's nowhere to go but down. . .

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nse/604716002/

so one of the reddest states, Oklahoma, wanted to ease gun laws further. Law enforcement was against it. The gov. Vetoed the bill. NRA is pledging to oust her.

I personally trust the boots on the ground who see what goes on in the streets and put their lives in danger over The small percentage of NRA members. I don’t want to take any law abiding citizens guns away, but please let’s listen to what law enforcement has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nse/604716002/

so one of the reddest states, Oklahoma, wanted to ease gun laws further. Law enforcement was against it. The gov. Vetoed the bill. NRA is pledging to oust her.

I personally trust the boots on the ground who see what goes on in the streets and put their lives in danger over The small percentage of NRA members. I don’t want to take any law abiding citizens guns away, but please let’s listen to what law enforcement has to say.
    The state law enforcement agency mentioned said they'd lose $5M annually in licensing fees and would need to lay off 60 personnel if citizens were allowed their full constitutional rights.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    I suppose law enforcement would also have an easier and safer time of it if we did something about the pesky 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th Amendments to the Constitution as well....

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I suppose law enforcement would also have an easier and safer time of it if we did something about the pesky 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th Amendments to the Constitution as well....
    You are not going to die from someone telling you what you don’t want to hear or women voting and so on.

Oregon Initiative Petition #43 will be on the statewide ballot in November. The initiative, if passed, would declare that The people of the State of Oregon find and declare that a reduction in the availability of assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines will promote ... public health and safety.

Section 3 of IP #43 defines "assault weapon" and "large capacity ammunition magazine".

Section 4 makes it a crime to unlawfully possess or transfer an assault weapon or high capacity magazine, effective January 1, 2019. People who legally owned such items before the law goes into effect would be allowed to apply for registration, subject to a criminal background check. I understand that registered owners would be restricted to possession (and transport) on their own property or a shooting range. They would be required to report theft of any of the registered items within 48 hours. They would not be allowed to buy more assault weapons and large capacity magazines.
    Owners who do not apply for registration will have 120 days to remove the unlawful items from the state of Oregon, sell them to a registered firearms dealer, surrender them to law enforcement for destruction, or render them inoperable.

I expect there will be a lively debate between supporters and opponents of the initiative.

Registration of “such items”. I just checked - I have hundreds of such things. My FAL magazines were purchased by the 500 magazine case, for $1.25/magazine.

Since they lack serial numbers, how exactly will such things be registered? How much will it cost me to register my $1.25 item?

The links for my Browning machine guns - when I link too many of them together, do I need to register the assembly? See they unlink when fired, am I manufacturing a new unlawful item when I pick them up and reassemble them? The cloth belts for the same weapons....if I cut them into shorter lengths, am I OK? If I sew a strip of cloth with too many loops, am I a criminal?

Come and get ‘em....

I see the cop who loitered outside the building during the Parkland shooting is collecting a pension of $8,702/month at the age of 55. Maybe he could retire to Oregon. Less chance of gunfire and you still don't need to pump your own gas in the bigger towns.

Why do you need a machine gun? Is it an antique you keep for sentimental reasons?

Thread Information