Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It was privileged white men who wrote the Constitution, after all.
    Yes, they were privileged enough to set the stage for the creation of the freest nation on earth, which influenced all other western societies for your eventual benefit. You gotta love em, dontcha?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thank God I have neither guns nor affluence.

I got no lock on the door - that's no way to be
    They can steal the rug from the floor - that's OK with me
    'Cause the things that I prize - like the stars in the skies - are all free

--Porgy and Bess
    although I suspect no locks on the door is often itself an symbol of affluence (or sometimes rural life as well), in a more dangerous neighborhood one might lock the doors.
    Trees don't grow on money

I saw on social media that many Australians can't fathom why we would let our kids get slaughtered while we hold onto a 240 yo law. They also mentioned that our founding fathers never could have imagined the type of weapons we have now. My only response is no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I saw on social media that many Australians can't fathom why we would let our kids get slaughtered while we hold onto a 240 yo law.
    It's not a law, it's a natural right. The danger in criminalizing natural rights is, once you get a taste for it, where do you stop?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The only rights we have are those our society bestows upon us, IMO.
    I could stretch it, and say we have a natural right to defend ourselves, but that doesn't extend to specifying weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It was privileged white men who wrote the Constitution, after all.
    Those guys took some bullets, I think, to get this young country out of the hands of despot kings. Many of them suffered loss of life and limb, loss of family, loss of wealth.

You can call them “privileged” if you like, but I consider myself privileged to live in the country they built.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-1-18 at 4:23pm.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes, they were privileged enough to set the stage for the creation of the freest nation on earth, which influenced all other western societies for your eventual benefit. You gotta love em, dontcha?
    Privilege? many were slaveowners. Imagine buying another human being and enslaving them. Not exactly the stage for freedom for all. Maybe that is a natural right we should bring back.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Actually, the US Constitution is responsible for gun policies in the US. "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
    Actually I think they wrote a bit more than that but I suppose the point of the rest of it doesn't matter to some people. Apparently the NRA thought the rest so inconvenient that they didn't even bother to put the other part up on the wall of their headquarters lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Privilege? many were slaveowners. Imagine buying another human being and enslaving them. Not exactly the stage for freedom for all. Maybe that is a natural right we should bring back.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Actually I think they wrote a bit more than that but I suppose the point of the rest of it doesn't matter to some people. Apparently the NRA thought the rest so inconvenient that they didn't even bother to put the other part up on the wall of their headquarters lobby.
    OK, I get that you guys just want to be argumentative, and that's all right. Flowers, you know that those natural rights enshrined in the constitution were the means for eliminating slavery, just as they're the first line of defense against everyone's favorite dystopian fears such as those illustrated in The Handmaid's Tale, Fahrenheit 451 or 1984. All those evil white males designed the very structure we all benefit from today. Maybe it took longer to realize some of those goals than we would like, but there's no doubt some of them would never have been realized in this country without their foresight.

jp1, if you want to change the topic to include every word in the Constitution, maybe another thread would be in order.

When you guys start plotting a return to an era when unalienable rights are fickle, are granted or taken away on a whim, think hard and long about what you're going to end up with.

I think the founding fathers were amazing in many ways such as risking their own lives if the English had won the war. They would have been executed and perhaps their families also killed. They were also a product of their time. Some for slavery and some against it. I feel grateful to them in many ways. No they were not perfect as they were human. There also is no way that they could have foreseen the technology that would come many years later. Guns being a Natural right that is no longer relevant in our times. The NRA is powerful and makes people rich and feeds off of people’s fears. Yes if the country tried to kill its own citizens people would resist with or without guns but ultimately the results would most likely be the same.

Thread Information