Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Turn the schools into totalitarian states. It will keep the kids physically safe. I already mentioned this.
    Safety went up in my local school when they eliminated the metal detectors.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    When you guys are through pointing fingers at the bogeyman du jour and are ready to discuss helpful options, let us know.
    There are none as long as our gun culture exists. It is more than just gun ownership. 420 responses and thoughts and prayers seems to be the best we can come up with?

[QUOTE=Ultralight;297297]
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

Uh... feminism and Harvey are not divine, as Christianity supposedly is.
    At the risk of answering my own question, where the Hell did you get that idea?

Christianity, in its many branches, is composed of flawed and fallible human material. It aims at reaching toward the divine with the humble recognition that such imperfect beings as we can never succeed absent a certain amount of grace putting a thumb on the scale. Nobody in history has ever gotten it completely right. It's the striving that matters. It's like Candy Crush in that respect.

I don't think that pointing at Christians falling short of an ideal is dispositive proof of the ideal's validity.

flowers, I totally agree with your post yesterday) It is really sad what is happening in our country.

[QUOTE=LDAHL;297324]

At the risk of answering my own question, where the Hell did you get that idea?

Christianity, in its many branches, is composed of flawed and fallible human material. It aims at reaching toward the divine with the humble recognition that such imperfect beings as we can never succeed absent a certain amount of grace putting a thumb on the scale. Nobody in history has ever gotten it completely right. It's the striving that matters. It's like Candy Crush in that respect.

I don't think that pointing at Christians falling short of an ideal is dispositive proof of the ideal's validity.
    all ideologies and beliefs are not perfect. It’s just that if you are willing to judge and label others don’t be surprised when they fight back.

Standing behind an organization that pays large large sums of money to politicians to back their pro gun at any cost agenda is risky for Christians at best. What would Jesus do?

blocking all Muslims from entering the country, spreading a wave of hate, white supremacy and antisemitism? What would Jesus do?

Treat sexually active women as whores because they seek birth control and health services while multiple legislators haven’t kept their hands and other body parts between themselves and their legally married partner? Doing anything to block poor women of reproductive age from obtaining testing and health care?

Touting the the evils of abortion while our children are being slaughtered by guns in schools, failing in schools, many are homeless and hungry and 65 million refugees are languishing around the world in tent cities with no hope for any country taking them? Let’s start by taking care of the people in this country at least, and finding ways to let them help themselves. That would truly be the Christian thing to do.

It just does does not make sense what is going on in our “Christian” country.

In my garden these flowers blossomed on the day of the Santa Fe High School shooting incident. They live in the cold highlands, in rocky soil.

000_0231 (3).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    In my garden these flowers blossomed on the day of the Santa Fe High School shooting incident. They live in the cold highlands, in rocky soil.

000_0231 (3).jpg
    beautiful flowers. On the day of the shooting I sat outside and watched the monarchs on my milkweed, baby ducks and Sandhills cranes, and a young alligator swimming around. I could not turn on the TV.

I think everyone wants an easy way to fix this problem, especially Alan, apparently.

But changing the USA's insane gun culture is going to be no easy task with no one solution. It is going to require a great deal of effort and reach.

I think everyone wants an easy way to fix this problem, especially Alan, apparently.

But changing the USA's insane gun culture is going to be no easy task with no one solution. It is going to require a great deal of effort and reach.
    I don't think there is an easy fix as I think this is a multi-faceted societal problem. Those who hope for an easy fix are the ones blaming guns and the NRA and constantly referring to those who disagree with them as gun nuts.

I've come to believe that further discussion on the subject with 'easy fixers' is pointless.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't think there is an easy fix as I think this is a multi-faceted societal problem. Those who hope for an easy fix are the ones blaming guns and the NRA and constantly referring to those who disagree with them as gun nuts.

I've come to believe that further discussion on the subject with 'easy fixers' is pointless.
    what are the solutions?

it is a very complicated solution, I agree. But there must be a way to start.

First, what laws are not enforced already on the books?

Thread Information