Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

horrific, frightening and senseless. We seem paralyzed as a country to do anything about it.

My heart breaks for the useless lost and shattered lives.

I'm sick to my stomach..........and angry and ashamed that this country can't seem to do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    horrific, frightening and senseless. We seem paralyzed as a country to do anything about it.
    But we are doing something about it. Thoughts and prayers, baby. Thoughts and prayers.

/snark

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    But we are doing something about it. Thoughts and prayers, baby. Thoughts and prayers.

/snark
    after Gabby Gifford (six people died and five were wounded) and Steve Scalise were shot I would have thought that was close enough to Home.

Again we sit on our hands and wait until the next tweet or scandal distracts us.

Yppej
    In a five year period two Kennedys, King and Malcolm X were all assassinated. If the murder of a president doesn't spark changes other than better Secret Service protection the attacks on Gifford and Scalise won't.

Modest "common sense" policies that would seek to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous, high-risk people are opposed by the corporate gun lobby and Second Amendment devotees. However, the Constitution can be amended... and there is a procedure to repeal any existing amendment.

I was already fed-up with gun violence in April 1999 when the shootings occurred at Columbine. There have been 25 fatal active school shootings in the United States since then.

And, as flowerseverywhere reminded us, gun violence has directly targeted lawmakers ... and "we" sit on our hands.

In the state of Wisconsin, and most likely in every state, there is a 501(c)(3) organization working to counteract the corporate gun lobby, educate the public about gun violence, and lobby for life-saving changes to gun laws. These organizations can be looked up on Bing, Google, etc. by typing Your State + anti + gun + violence.

"We" who do not wish to sit on our hands can get involved and go to work.

I think people who talk about Gun Lobbies and 2nd Amendment devotees are showing their privilege. To address the problem of deadly violence by restricting the means of effective self defense by those living in violent circumstances seems counter-intuitive. Perhaps a deeper dive into the culture of violence would be a better place to start.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Perhaps a deeper dive into the culture of violence would be a better place to start.
    As much as I believe in more laws around access to assault weapons, I think Alan has a good point.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Don’t look for answers to come from the televised media. They are too busy monetizing the sensationalism of mass shooting deaths. Don’t look for answers to come from the political oligarchy. They are busy pushing legislation that benefits their donors.

The raw figures are available. Teen suicide is a much larger problem but it doesn’t sell advertising or anything else for that matter. Of all teen homicides, figures I’ve seen show that mass murder accounts for only about 2%.

The answer is in where our priorities are as evidenced by our federal budget. Trump wants to allocate somewhere around 700 billion for the military and defense spending. If you look at the discretionary spending funds they amount to a little over a trillion dollars. Almost 60% is spent on the military and they still don’t take care of soldiers after they come home.

There isnt a magic law that will end all mass shootings. There are some specific things you can do Security wise to lessen the chances. TSA.....was an application of this. You can screen every kid and adult that enters a school zone. But guess what, you have to take some of that military budget and hand it over to education. You can increase mental health care opportunities but guess what....that military budget needs to slide a slice of the pie to health and welfare.

Don’t listen to the lies both sides have developed about gun issues. The US is not the only developed country where this happens. It just happens to be one of the ones that does little to respond to it. No gun restrictions can do anything about the firearms we already have in circulation. The trouble is we are much better at teaching violence than we are at teaching respect.

If you want to join the bandwagon of gun bashing, go ahead it feels good especially after the day of an incident like this. But it does nothing to reduce the responsibility all of us bear for having a purposeful societal focus on stockpiling weapon systems, funding a bloated military and spreading turmoil worldwide at the expense of our own children’s future.

We can mitigate these incidents. We just have to get our money and our efforts headed in the right direction.

As far as the repeal of the second amendment....it’s not about hunting, or self defense....it’s about revolution. It’s the constitutional equivalent to the nuclear option. You’d have to repeal the Declaration of Independence and replace liberty with tyranny.

We can turn this into self loathing if you all want, but I am angry at the assholes, and their sheer audacity, who think they are so important they can take the lives of others with no provocation on the part of victims.Talk about entitled mentality, that is it.

Thread Information