Page 29 of 58 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

-I come from a hunting family and if you used a AR 15 to hunt there would be nothing left of the animal worth eating. It is ridiculous that civilians can own them.

Remember give up rights for the children.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    -I come from a hunting family and if you used a AR 15 to hunt there would be nothing left of the animal worth eating. It is ridiculous that civilians can own them.
    Really? What caliber AR15? They can be used to shoot different rounds.
    Also the second amendment is not just hunting. It is a right to have a defense against a tyrannical government.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Really? I think that may be true for small game such as a rabbit or squirrel, but for larger game such as deer? The other popular ammo for larger game is the 30.06 which is much more powerful and is probably a better choice because it will take down a larger target more efficiently. The other plus for 30.06 is that it isn't associated with a scary looking rifle like the .223 caliber (5.56mm) rounds are. But, to get back to your point, I think the perfectly acceptable 30.06 does more damage to the animal.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Really? I think that may be true for small game such as a rabbit or squirrel, but for larger game such as deer? The other popular ammo for larger game is the 30.06 which is much more powerful and is probably a better choice because it will take down a larger target more efficiently. The other plus for 30.06 is that it isn't associated with a scary looking rifle like the .223 caliber (5.56mm) rounds are. But, to get back to your point, I think the perfectly acceptable 30.06 does more damage to the animal.
    A 20 gauge pump shotgun can do a lot -- it can bring down some birds (even ducks with a magnum load). Put a slug barrel on it and you got a gun that can bring down the biggest deer. Throw a short barrel on it and you have an excellent home defense gun. You know all this, I am sure. You don't really need a 30.06, though a 30.06 deer rifle could come in handy way out west where you need to take longer shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    A 20 gauge pump shotgun can do a lot -- it can bring down some birds (even ducks with a magnum load). Put a slug barrel on it and you got a gun that can bring down the biggest deer. Throw a short barrel on it and you have an excellent home defense gun. You know all this, I am sure. You don't really need a 30.06, though a 30.06 deer rifle could come in handy way out west where you need to take longer shots.
    Yep, just making a point.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yep, just making a point.
    Your point is well-taken.

I gotta say, the gun rights issue is one that really has me torn. I love shooting sporting clays and have been a member of gun clubs. I have gone hunting and harvested dinner. I've also just plinked tin cans and such. All fun!

But I see gun culture in America as totally off any reasonable course.

I would much rather outlaw automobiles than guns!

Some people will be singing a different tune when it is your loved one or child that gets slaughtered for no good reason.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    So I have a question for Alan and others who are gun owners

what is wrong with banning gun shows and internet sales?

what is wrong with background checks?

what is wrong with a waiting period?

what is wrong with guns having age and citizenship restrictions? Certainly you cannot think it is a good idea for an illegal citizen or non citizen who is active with ISIS getting a gun.

aren’t there enough guns to choose from that certain guns are not needed to be owned by normal citizens? I can even see exceptions made for those that demonstrate they know what they are doing, and have had more training.

i’m not Getting it. I don’t want to take anyone’s guns away but it seems reasonable that guns should only be in the hands of responsible law abiding citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    So I have a question for Alan and others who are gun owners

what is wrong with banning gun shows and internet sales?

what is wrong with background checks?

what is wrong with a waiting period?

what is wrong with guns having age and citizenship restrictions? Certainly you cannot think it is a good idea for an illegal citizen or non citizen who is active with ISIS getting a gun.

aren’t there enough guns to choose from that certain guns are not needed to be owned by normal citizens? I can even see exceptions made for those that demonstrate they know what they are doing, and have had more training.

i’m not Getting it. I don’t want to take anyone’s guns away but it seems reasonable that guns should only be in the hands of responsible law abiding citizens.
    I can only speak for myself but when you say you don't want to take guns away, but do admit that you want to create a restrictive ownership environment, what I hear is "I want to limit the natural right to the means of self defense to those I approve of", and I don't trust people who may decide that I shouldn't have that right. Without natural rights, how can you have civil rights?

Thread Information