Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Predictable, given the makeup of the court, but wrong, IMO. I agree with the minority here.
    Have you read the opinions? What specific points in the majority opinion do you have issues with?

Predictable, given the makeup of the court, but wrong, IMO. I agree with the minority here.
    You know the court is wrong, just Like I know the court was wrong about terming the Obamacare required pur hase of a commercial product a “tax.” Tax my ass.

*WE* know what is constitutional and was isnt, right? Dont need to read no steenkin opinion.

A few more details on the "Lethal Violence Protective Order Bill" in the Wisconsin Assembly:
    It was introduced by Democrats on 2/28/18 in the Republican-majority legislature. If passed into law, a family member or a law enforcement officer could petition the court for an injunction to temporarily prevent a certain individual from possessing or buying a firearm. A Lethal Violence Protective Order (LVPO) would be effective for an initial 180 days, and it could be extended by the court for additional 180-day periods.

A similar plan was proposed by the Governor of Florida. I don't know if it passed into law.

Five other states have similar laws: CT, IN, CA, OR and WA.

Williamsmith
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1df50f8cfa27A

A good example in the news recently....and there have been others.....but this one points out the poor judgement of having teachers, administrators and staff carry guns on school campuses. It makes far more sense to create a true “gun free zone” with outer perimeter and stringent entry procedures than it does to introduce more firearms to the environment. I suspect the press has not paid much attention to these types of incidents but now that there is interest in them they will be brought to the attention of the nation.

Im waiting for the story about an armed teacher taking out a bad guy. I’m just wondering how many unintentional discharges there will be for every tragedy averted...

I've heard people question whether this reserve police officer, will have a pile of cash headed his way, after this display of incompetence. He is in what they would like to be a gun free state.

I see that splinternews has researched the tweets of Senators and Members of Congress which offer thoughts and prayers after this shooting event in Florida, and matched them with the dollar amount each Congressional Tweeter of sympathy received from the NRA Political Victory Fund, based on public records. The typical donation to a Member of Congress was $2,000 for the last election, based on the NRA's assessment of "voting record, public statements, and responses to NRA questionnaires".

I sense that the leaders in the recent March for Our Lives would like to see the electorate vote in the next election to defeat incumbent Members of Congress who have been given an "A Grade" and money by the NRA-PVF.

According to splintergroups, the largest recipient in the House of Representatives was Barbara Comstock (R-VA) $10,400
    Recipients of $9,900 included:
    Mike Coffman (R-CO)
    Will Hurt (R-TX)
    John Katko (R-NY)
    Bruce Poliquin (R-ME)
    Lee Zeldin (R-NY)

In the Senate, recipients of $9,900 included:
    Marco Rubio (R-FL)
    Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
    Bob Portman (R-OH)
    Joni Ernst (R-IA)
    Thom Tillis (R-NC)

http://splinternews.com/every-member...-an-1823035413

I think it's odd that an organization dedicated to gun safety and maintaining a constitutional right enshrined for over 200 years is met with such a strong opposition designed to take away a citizen's right to an effective self defense. For the life of me I can't understand how they can be portrayed as the bad guy.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Because they've gradually morphed into a marketing lobby? Because they oppose any incremental regulation as if sponsored by the devil himself? Because they aggressively target legislators who propose such legislation? If the NRA were just about education and safety, no one would oppose them.

Because they've gradually morphed into a marketing lobby? Because they oppose any incremental regulation as if sponsored by the devil himself? Because they aggressively target legislators who propose such legislation? If the NRA were just about education and safety, no one would oppose them.
    Ahhh, like Planned Parenthood. I get it now.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I read an article about an NRA member who remembered loving his gun club as a youth. He loved the concentration required, the sportsmanship and competitions. His observation then, if I remember it correctly, that the NRA was a wonderful organization teaching and ensuring that members used their guns wisely and thoughtfully. He wrote that he is deeply concerned that now that it is all about access to guns and the 2nd Amendment rights.

DH and I had long guns, hunting licences etc properly handled and stored. A Conservation Officer told me that if I went out with DH hunting in our bush, I really should have my licence so I did. Did I ever shoot anything beyond severely injured animals, no. DH hunted with friends in other areas and enjoyed it.
    Our approach to gun ownership was similar to the first person's story about the NRA existing and supporting safe, responsible use of sporting guns.

When did the NRA's emphasis on the 2nd Amendment rights take over which then enabled war weapons, no longer focusing on the simple everyday sporting guns? Not being snarky but genuinely curious
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information