Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If a sungle puppy dying in an overhead bin of an airplane can stir congress to rapid action but dozens of dead children can’t, despite overwhelong support for a commonsense reform it seems pretty clear that the problem isnt that vioters don't care. It seems much more likely that the gun lobby has more power to thwart congress from carrying out the people’s wishes than the ‘i like dead puppies on planes’ lobby.
    wait, has Congress actually passed legislation against another bad thing happening, like dead dogs?
    Oh they are so resourceful at saving us from the bad stuff of the world.

Fools. they are a bunch of idiots and fools. I tire of their stupidity.

Considering that in a survey last october 96% of people say they favor background checks for all purchases, 75% a 30 day waiting period and 70% that all privately-owned guns be registered I question whether politicians actually do represent us.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx
    I’d have to question that poll some, I’m not saying that a majority might favor background checks, but not 96%. Of coarse the latest polls also put trumps approval rating above Obama’s for the sameness time in office. I’m sure you believe that also.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The phrase “common sense reform” is full of nonsense.
    No moreso than the NRA’s extremist interpretation of the second amendment.

No moreso than the NRA’s extremist interpretation of the second amendment.
    I'm not sure what the NRA's interpretation might be, what do you consider extremist?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I’ve been thinking of giving my grandkids a life membership to the NRA. I don’t view them as extreme. And they give a jacket for signing up and I’m keeping that for myself.

You can always send some money to Bloomberg and while he’s at it he can get back to fighting soft drinks.

Im sure both groups are gaining membership and contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm not sure what the NRA's interpretation might be, what do you consider extremist?
    Ignoring the first 13 words.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The phrase “common sense reform” is full of nonsense.
    I always want to ask people who want "common sense gun law reform" how they'd feel about common sense abortion reform or common sense free speech reform or common sense labor law reform.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I always want to ask people who want "common sense gun law reform" how they'd feel about common sense abortion reform or common sense free speech reform or common sense labor law reform.
    I suppose if we were talking about specific labor law or abortion or speech reforms, in a way similar to how i was dscussing a specific potential gun law reform we could decide whether the proposed reforms could be characterized as common sense or not. My gut instinct, though, is that if any off your proposed reforms for the above polled at 96% approval they’d probably be pretty common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Ignoring the first 13 words.
    I think those first 13 words are well settled.
    According to Wikipedia:
    In District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), the Supreme Court handed down a landmark decision that held the amendment protects an individual right to possess and carry firearms.[14][15]
    In McDonald v. Chicago (2010), the Court clarified its earlier decisions that limited the amendment's impact to a restriction on the federal government, expressly holding that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment against state and local governments.[16]
    In Caetano v. Massachusetts(2016), the Supreme Court reiterated its earlier rulings that "the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding" and that its protection is not limited to "only those weapons useful in warfare".[17]

So, given such a solid basis for the NRA's advocacy to retain settled rights, I'm still curious why anyone would use the word "extremist".
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information