Page 37 of 58 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting, multiple fatalities

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Another shooting at YouTube. First reports woman was the shooter. Interesting huh? More dead bodies guns didn’t kill.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Another shooting at YouTube. First reports woman was the shooter. Interesting huh? More dead bodies guns didn’t kill.
    Bodies last I checked meant more then one. Three wounded, one (the shooter) dead. Not the same style weapon (a pistol), in a gun free zone again, and last report I saw, said it was a domestic dispute (one man, two women wounded).
    So no, the gun didn't decide to take itself in there and open fire, someone who could have used a knife, a backpack bomb, their vehicle, or a pressure cooker did.

Now there've been reports that it wasn't a domestic dispute but rather, that she was angry at youtube's demonitization of a lot of amateur channels such as hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think those first 13 words are well settled.
    According to Wikipedia:

So, given such a solid basis for the NRA's advocacy to retain settled rights, I'm still curious why anyone would use the word "extremist".[/LEFT]
    I suppose those 3 recent court decisions have, for better or for worse, settled the issue. Just as, for better or for worse, the court has also decided that commerce is pretty much anything congress calls it.

I am, though, somewhat surprised that conservatives would be in favor of this relatively recent interpretation of the second amendment. It wasn't until the '60's when the black panthers used this interpretation to justify carrying shotguns while monitoring police in Oakland and then went to the statehouse in Sacramento carrying guns that people seriously started considering the concept that the amendment was ascribing an individual right to bear arms instead of a collective right to bear arms.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/radiol...fect-gun-show/

In Rhode Island the House Judiciary Committee approved 2 bills which would ban bump stocks and implement a "red flag" policy, whereby police can obtain a court order to confiscate firearms from individual the court deems to be a threat of imminent harm to themselves or others. They are expected to pass the House and Senate and become law.

The Governor of Vermont has signed into law 2 measures of the same effect, as well as raising the age to buy a gun from 16 to 21, banning high-capacity magazines, and making background checks mandatory on all firearms sales.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    They passed such a law in Florida. It was shocking it passed in this red, easy to get concealed carry license state. There are two shooting ranges with classes within five miles from my house.

Now the task task is to ensure this law is only used in extreme circumstances. We have our share of crazies, especially old ones, in this heavily gun filled state. I think the legislation is good, but only if used properly.

A Pennsylvania school district is taking "aggressive measures to improve safety and security."

Millcreek Township School District is training all teachers in the T.R.O.J.A.N. response to a threat. District Superintendent Hall issued 16"-long wooden bats to 500 teachers during training on April 9. An additional 100 bats will be maintained in school offices and other school locations. Hall stated, "Teachers will have the option to use the bats if a threat arises.... it's not about just hiding and waiting. There are options, and one of those is to fight."

The local newspaper reported that the bats cost about $1,800.

There will also be a greater presence of armed police officers in the schools.

https://www.mtsd.org/featured-news/m...t-william-hall

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    A Pennsylvania school district is taking "aggressive measures to improve safety and security."

Millcreek Township School District is training all teachers in the T.R.O.J.A.N. response to a threat. District Superintendent Hall issued 16"-long wooden bats to 500 teachers during training on April 9. An additional 100 bats will be maintained in school offices and other school locations. Hall stated, "Teachers will have the option to use the bats if a threat arises.... it's not about just hiding and waiting. There are options, and one of those is to fight."

The local newspaper reported that the bats cost about $1,800.

There will also be a greater presence of armed police officers in the schools.

https://www.mtsd.org/featured-news/m...t-william-hall
    Sort of reminds me of Catholic school in the sixties.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Sort of reminds me of Catholic school in the sixties.
    Haha! I hear ya, LDAHL. I still have PTSD from the treatment I got from Sister Catherina and Sister Ellen Marie, but what didn't kill me made me stronger. If I hadn't had kind, compassionate teachers along the way, too, like Sister Roserma and Sister Theresa Claire, I may never have recovered.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Haha! I hear ya, LDAHL. I still have PTSD from the treatment I got from Sister Catherina and Sister Ellen Marie, but what didn't kill me made me stronger. If I hadn't had kind, compassionate teachers along the way, too, like Sister Roserma and Sister Theresa Claire, I may never have recovered.
    I went to Catholic School for one day. Not a good fit for anyone!

I did have to attend CCD (Catholic Children's Dungeon) every Sunday after church. I am pretty sure a couple nuns and a priest have PTSD from me being unmanageable and all the cognitive dissonance I caused them! haha

Thread Information