Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $160 per month due to new tax law.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes, we should force our government to live within it's means.
    It would be nice to see deficits taken seriously by somebody again. The Left never did and the Right seems to have given up.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It would be nice to see deficits taken seriously by somebody again. The Left never did and the Right seems to have given up.
    The Right never did, either--they only pretend to when Democrats are in power. See "the two Santa Claus theory."

My husband increased his 401K withholding with the increase he would have brought home given the new tax plan. Lawn care, I have no problem with people paying for someone else to do their lawn care but personally I think I should do my own and when I can't then I need to move. Now, speaking of money, I have spent thousands of dollars on lawn care equipment, tractors (5 - each having a special purpose) mowers, finish mowers, rotary mowers (7 acres including an orchard). Money aside, it's just preference.

I somehow get the feeling in that there is no such thing as a free lunch, or in this case no free lawn service. Maybe a lot of us will benefit as individuals on a short term basis, but a big budget with huge tax cuts when the economy is near full employment spells economic trouble in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I somehow get the feeling in that there is no such thing as a free lunch, or in this case no free lawn service. Maybe a lot of us will benefit as individuals on a short term basis, but a big budget with huge tax cuts when the economy is near full employment spells economic trouble in my book.
    As another poster has said many times, just have a couple of bags packed and ready to flee when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    As another poster has said many times, just have a couple of bags packed and ready to flee when the time comes.
    The question is... who will take us then?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    i’m curious What your suggestions are as to how this can be done. They always seem to find a way to raise spending caps, or manipulate the numbers so we don’t really know the truth about how the economy and deficit is going. Or pad their own families and cronies bank accounts. And I mean all political persuasions from the bottom to the top. It seems no lawmakers are immune.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    i’m curious What your suggestions are as to how this can be done. They always seem to find a way to raise spending caps, or manipulate the numbers so we don’t really know the truth about how the economy and deficit is going. Or pad their own families and cronies bank accounts. And I mean all political persuasions from the bottom to the top. It seems no lawmakers are immune.
    I don't know how it can be done, we seem to have entered a phase where anyone championing fiscal responsibility is immediately hailed as some sort of monster. I'm disappointed that the only party with a historical interest in smaller government has seemingly given in to societal pressure to give more and more.

The cost of the Federal Government this past year exceeded $12,000 per citizen and society demands that it increase further while any attempt to relieve the burden on the 50% of the population who actually fund that spending is met with derision. I remember when I was a small boy Nikita Khrushchev said "your own working class will bury you", and I think he was right.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Williamsmith
    I don't know how it can be done, we seem to have entered a phase where anyone championing fiscal responsibility is immediately hailed as some sort of monster. I'm disappointed that the only party with a historical interest in smaller government has seemingly given in to societal pressure to give more and more.

The cost of the Federal Government this past year exceeded $12,000 per citizen and society demands that it increase further while any attempt to relieve the burden on the 50% of the population who actually fund that spending is met with derision. I remember when I was a small boy Nikita Khrushchev said "your own working class will bury you", and I think he was right.
    Would anyone dispute here and now that while it’s nice to have a military machine capable of deploying worldwide and responding to any threats real or imagined......that capability is causing us to ask for a credit card with higher limits every year? And it is making it impossible to take care of our basic needs at home. If your kids ran their household this way, you’d scoff at them when they got in trouble. You can’t eat bullets.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Alan and William smith, I agree with both of you wholeheartedly. But how to change the tide. Each administration and their supporters are all up in arms about the amount that was spent by their predecessor. Yet they somehow slide right into the same trap. They say what we want to hear yet we continue to ramp up our troops abroad, spend gazillions of flying presidents and their entourages around, and fund pet projects whether or not it is the best thing to do so people can go home to their constituents and prove they have done something. It’s all of them. The few conservatives who are trying to follow their campaign promises are quickly drowned out and ignored.

Thread Information