Thread: Table manners - What's important

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My daughter has something called misophonia. It's a strange hearing/ brain thing - extremely acute hearing combined with a sort of phobia.

At any rate, she can't bear people making loud eating noises, licking their lips, clanking silverware, smacking, licking their fingers. Going to the movies is kind of a challenge, with people dipping their faces directly in their popcorn and loudly slurping on near-empty drinks. Eating with open mouth and making loud chewing, swallowing, and belching noises are the worst for her. It's like fingernails on as blackboard.

This has made me much more aware of eating habits and manners. All these things are mildly gross to everyone. It would be a nicer world if better manners were the rule.

Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    My daughter has something called misophonia. It's a strange hearing/ brain thing - extremely acute hearing combined with a sort of phobia.

At any rate, she can't bear people making loud eating noises, licking their lips, clanking silverware, smacking, licking their fingers. Going to the movies is kind of a challenge, with people dipping their faces directly in their popcorn and loudly slurping on near-empty drinks. Eating with open mouth and making loud chewing, swallowing, and belching noises are the worst for her. It's like fingernails on as blackboard.

This has made me much more aware of eating habits and manners. All these things are mildly gross to everyone. It would be a nicer world if better manners were the rule.

Thanks for posting!
    Wow Gardenarian.........I never knew about this condition. I think I have it! I'm sorry about your daughter. Has she found anything that helps? Does she have any other conditions too? You can P.M. me if you would rather do that, than post here.

Thread Information