Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Must read: I Don't Know a Single Person on this Earth Anymore

I agree; excellent analogy. It also touches on the conversations we've had here occasionally how these (close-to-)end-of-life decisions sometimes uncover skeletons (an affair, children from that affair, legal issues, etc.) that surface because those involved are no longer capable of keeping them buried. How many people's memories have been diminished because of such things?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    That is an awesome analogy
    agreed, very cool, Williamsmith.

One thing I like about having friends in their 80’s, is to see how they model aging. They enter that part of the world before me and can show actions that work and actions that do not work.

Following IL's post, I have noted in my peers that as they retire, they retire from living as well. They keep referring to how old they are now and shouldn't expect as much from themselves and withdraw from volunteering, taking on new skills and supporting the community is some way. I remind them of my 95 year old neighbour who is still driving herself to church every Sunday and is one fierce card player. That shuts the moaning self-pity party for a while. End of life is just like the beginning as WS's analogy demonstrates - make a plan, set goals, practice and make conscious choices to make a 'living' not a 'dying'. I had one friend who was depressed for days as he turned 40. I could not understand that. I was 10 years his senior and way to busy to worry about any birthday. I still don't celebrate birthdays - they are simply trips around the sun.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I agree; excellent analogy. It also touches on the conversations we've had here occasionally how these (close-to-)end-of-life decisions sometimes uncover skeletons (an affair, children from that affair, legal issues, etc.) that surface because those involved are no longer capable of keeping them buried. How many people's memories have been diminished because of such things?
    This is a great example of emotional clutter. One of the selfish reasons that I have tried my entire life to never lie or to put myself in a position in which I may have to lie is because I'm afraid of the weight of the burden. I would rather be a hoarder than have some secret burying me my whole life. The simple life extends to a life that's honest and sincere.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information