Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Can Progressives Revive The Democratic Party?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It was just a few years ago when Hillary's maid was routinely printing off classified documents and delivering them. Of course I jest, it really was a big deal for lots of us, but I find solace in the difference between an interim clearance and a cursory pre-employment background check.
    Bradley Manning, Edward Snowden and Mrs. Clinton pretty much destroyed my faith in security clearances.

  2. #12
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,809
    I did some research, and found no evidence of Clinton or her aide disseminating classified emails. I saw a Breitbart headline during my search, so I assume that's where this comes from. I also found that among some levels of classification, rules were elastic, and often the subject of debate. From the Huffington Post:

    "Media sometimes erroneously refer to Clinton as having shared classified documents. This is not something she is accused of. It is extremely difficult to share a classified document electronically over email. Most government agencies, including the State Department, maintain separate systems precisely to make it all but impossible to electronically pass information between classified and unclassified systems."

  3. #13
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,452
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I did some research, and found no evidence of Clinton or her aide disseminating classified emails. I saw a Breitbart headline during my search, so I assume that's where this comes from. I also found that among some levels of classification, rules were elastic, and often the subject of debate. From the Huffington Post:

    "Media sometimes erroneously refer to Clinton as having shared classified documents. This is not something she is accused of. It is extremely difficult to share a classified document electronically over email. Most government agencies, including the State Department, maintain separate systems precisely to make it all but impossible to electronically pass information between classified and unclassified systems."
    https://nypost.com/2016/11/06/clinto...ied-materials/

    As secretary of state, Hillary Clinton routinely asked her maid to print out sensitive government emails and documents — including ones containing classified information — from her house in Washington, DC, emails and FBI memos show. But the housekeeper lacked the security clearance to handle such material......

    Santos also had access to a highly secure room called an SCIF (sensitive compartmented information facility) that diplomatic security agents set up at Whitehaven, according to FBI notes from an interview with Abedin.
    From within the SCIF, Santos — who had no clearance — “collected documents from the secure facsimile machine for Clinton,” the FBI notes revealed.
    Just how sensitive were the papers Santos presumably handled? The FBI noted Clinton periodically received the Presidential Daily Brief — a top-secret document prepared by the CIA and other US intelligence agencies — via the secure fax....
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  4. #14
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    https://nypost.com/2016/11/06/clinto...ied-materials/

    As secretary of state, Hillary Clinton routinely asked her maid to print out sensitive government emails and documents — including ones containing classified information — from her house in Washington, DC, emails and FBI memos show. But the housekeeper lacked the security clearance to handle such material......

    Santos also had access to a highly secure room called an SCIF (sensitive compartmented information facility) that diplomatic security agents set up at Whitehaven, according to FBI notes from an interview with Abedin.
    From within the SCIF, Santos — who had no clearance — “collected documents from the secure facsimile machine for Clinton,” the FBI notes revealed.
    Just how sensitive were the papers Santos presumably handled? The FBI noted Clinton periodically received the Presidential Daily Brief — a top-secret document prepared by the CIA and other US intelligence agencies — via the secure fax....
    And now, Trump gets a severely dumbed-down PDF that any one of a number of people without a security clearance (Jared Kushner, et al) can peruse.

  5. #15
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,452
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    And now, Trump gets a severely dumbed-down PDF that any one of a number of people without a security clearance (Jared Kushner, et al) can peruse.
    The President has the ability to use discretion and de-classify just about anything to suit his purpose. Otherwise how would he share information with the Vice President or Speaker of The House or any other elected official as they are not required to obtain a security clearance.
    If we examine all the media's hot takes designed for outrage in a critical light, we'd likely be disappointed that our biases aren't adequately confirmed.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  6. #16
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,809
    Also, the idea that Clinton was having her "maid" do clerical work is laughable to me--even if she had a "maid," which I doubt. Snopes didn't find much evidence to support this tale https://www.snopes.com/hillary-clint...ied-documents/

    After all the fables surrounding Clinton (She murdered Vince Foster! She was running a child sex-slave ring out of a pizza parlor! Benghazi was all her fault!), forgive me if I don't rise to Wikileaks' (pro-Russian) bait. To hear the Right tell it, she probably kidnapped the Lindbergh baby and was instrumental in the Manson family killings. In reality, she was likely just a seasoned politician who made the mistake of being a woman and a Democrat.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    But we live in a more cynical age than when FDR pulled it off, and there's no guarantee that people won't be looking for the catch.
    Well the recent tax cut got through despite the catch that our kids will pay killer interest on a huge deficit, even if they even get to keep the lower rates when they expire.

    Please not Cory Booker who rose by gutting public schools to enrich charter school companies.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Gardenarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    3,994
    I sincerely wish that progressives would revive the Democratic party!

    After all the mysogyny and nonsense of the last election, I think their best chance is to but in a white guy with a military background and a subtly socialist message. Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley would make a great candidate, IMHO.

    Could we please stop talking about Clinton? She lost, she's not coming back ...just friggin drop it already.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post

    Could we please stop talking about Clinton? She lost, she's not coming back ...just friggin drop it already.
    We can't. She's like the monster in a slasher film franchise. She keeps coming back. I wouldn't be surprised to hear she was stalking super delegates or corrupting innocent investment bankers even now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •