Thread: my review, and his review

my review, and his review

So it is that time of year for mid-year conversations and for surveys on our supervisors.

Every year we do a mid-year survey on the district, our department and our leaders. The results are expected to be shared with us, and they have been. You only get personal results if you have 5 or more direct reports, and we can opt in to answer the questions for other leaders. So I did my supervisor and then his supervisor who has been helpful this year. My sup only has 4 direct reports, however someone else also reported on him which gave him 5 and he got his personal results. And harsh, I feel a little bad for him but still it was honest. He had several that only rated 20% positive, that means only one person said "I trust him' 'he trusts me', 'resolves conflict effectively', 'helps me solve problems', 'is accessible to me', 'values me'. He was required to share this with us and seemed to have a lot of coaching on how to have the conversation, we wrote some goals for him and I think we did a good job making it a team thing where we are working together instead of just pointing fingers, that is not going to help. I think he was honestly shocked, well then maybe he shouldn't yell at people like he did to my colleague over an unclear deadline.

I meanwhile got my review, I am at 'needs improvement' but not on an official improvement plan! I was expecting this honestly, I did say I was doing better than he rated me but I also expected that. I now have a chance to show every single deadline that I meet for the rest of the year and get to the solid 'meeting expectations'. He was more positive than he usually is with me, maybe the feedback we gave him helped that a little , said a lot of nice things about my relationships with the school and families, my knowledge of many areas of my job, and my work ethic. Of course I do too many things and am rather chaotic. The thing I really didn't agree with was that I needed more self-awareness, I totally admit when I make mistakes and do my best to fix them. Some of my comments included that all the data work I do and have been expected to do for 5 years does not seem to be noticed the way the rest of my work is so that is a BIG change for me. I have put that at top priority for years, a lot of things could slide but my attendance that supported a grant and my snack records were the top of the list, and I still do those every month on time.

Ah well, moving on

Sounds like an ordeal to go through. Do you see value in it?

I find the whole concept of snack rexords amusing.

Not relevant to this thread I know! carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I find the whole concept of snack rexords amusing.

Not relevant to this thread I know! carry on.
    Oh yeah, I do too!! However since it is federally funded you can imagine what would happen if I bought a cracker with enriched flour as the first ingredient as compared to cracker with whole wheat flour,

At least my job is not checking snack records for compliance all day, every day!

Razz, I actually feel a little like I am not under the gun as much and have a little confidence again. I think I can do a MUCH better job, I didn't realize how defeated I felt. The defeated and abused feelings then seemed to lead to worse performance.

Thread Information