Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something nice.....I managed to get a full weekend off!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Something nice.....I managed to get a full weekend off!

Last weekend (2/10 and 2/11) the annual VNSA used booksale at the State Fairgrounds was in Phoenix. I put in a month ago to have that Saturday off and when I looked at the schedule, the temp service had given me the full weekend off! I was stunned, absolutely stunned. I thanked my immediate supervisor for the weekend off and she told me I was given the weekend off because I made no demands, never asked for anything, and had to date always come in when asked to.

This is one of the few times in my life I've ever really seen an employer acknowledge my hard work......and how nice it was as I consider this booksale one of the high points of my year. It's kind of like Introvert Christmas, and it's something I look forward to every year. So that was nice! Rob

Yppej
    Good for you. Happy reading!

Nice!
    It was my experience that always being reliable and conscientious yielded it's rewards when DH was sick, Mom had some health issues, etc. When I needed time off, there
    was no question, but an "of course, you need to go do what you need to do" type of response. I worked for and with very fine people, and if it weren't for all the meetings, I would probably be there still.
    I would be interested in hearing more about the VNSA Book Festival. I have a good story about the Boston Globe Book Festival from when I was a child; an incredibly fond memory.

Wonderful! It is so nice when it works out that way and I like that you appreciated your bosses as well. I just get happy any time I hear about a positive work culture. It is not always the case and when we spend so much time at work it makes a big difference.

Nice! Did you pick up a lot of books?

vnsabooksale.org

Rob,
    I've been to the book sale a few times, didn't make it this year. Did you get any good finds?
    I also like that the proceeds go to charity. It's quite an undertaking for the volunteers but a wonderful weekend for book lovers.

Well congrats! On both scoring a weekend off and being appreciated for your hard work.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    vnsabooksale.org

Rob,
    I've been to the book sale a few times, didn't make it this year. Did you get any good finds?
    I also like that the proceeds go to charity. It's quite an undertaking for the volunteers but a wonderful weekend for book lovers.
    Hi Lainey!

I was able to find several Thai cookbooks, a few travel guides to Thailand and one very recent one to India, some fiction in the GLBT section, an interesting book about Raymond Burr's double life (Perry Mason was gay apparently, can you believe that?), a few books about herbal medicine, a few books about Buddhism, and a few scattered other finds.

Truly this is one of the events of my year and I feel so good also that the monies raised here go to charity. It's such a win-win for everyone involved! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Nice! Did you pick up a lot of books?
    LOL I spent more than I planned to as I do every year.......but everything I bought is relevant to a subject area I am interested in. It's just one of those rare events that are just win-win for all involved. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Nice!
    It was my experience that always being reliable and conscientious yielded it's rewards when DH was sick, Mom had some health issues, etc. When I needed time off, there
    was no question, but an "of course, you need to go do what you need to do" type of response. I worked for and with very fine people, and if it weren't for all the meetings, I would probably be there still.
    I would be interested in hearing more about the VNSA Book Festival. I have a good story about the Boston Globe Book Festival from when I was a child; an incredibly fond memory.
    Hi Rosarugosa!

Lainey left the website for the annual booksale but I'll post it again: vsnabooksale.org. This booksale comes to the Arizona State Fairgrounds every mid February for a weekend and it is the largest used booksale in the Southwest, with around 600.000 used books for sale every year. It truly is an amazing event if you are into books like I am......it's one of the highlights of my year as a matter of fact. I was willing to give it up this year for my job if I had to but.....it was so nice to have BOTH days of this sale off and to be able to go to the sale both days (the second day of the sale everything is 1/2 off already really low prices to begin with). Rob

Thread Information