Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building shutting down at work (and can they do this?)

I decided I don't know enough about construction to have opinions that are too settled. I thought our major construction could have been done faster (we closed early and started late which added up to 3 extra weeks off). Who knows if it is related work to the transformer, and add a little to the time for unexpected issues that always come up.

When I had 3 schools I supervised the road between them was under construction for 3 years I believe. What a pain, seems like these things take a very long time. But then I dated a project manager and it made more sense at least.

I may be totally wrong, but I think heat is required, but not cooling / air conditioning.

After you check the OSHA regs, you might find good info on the local codes- either city or county. That might be an avenue to explore re: occupation of a building with no power. I know it's not legal to occupy a HOME without power, but again, not sure if that applies to a commercialn building and also, one would not technically be living in a commercial building.

Also, just for fun - is there an employee handbook? The info about vacations could be in there.

Yes, there is an employee handbook. However, all it talks about re: vacation is how much you earn, the use-it-or-lose-it policy, and what happens when you leave employment at the college.

My spouse may be able to find those codes, having worked in construction years ago. He keeps reassuring me that this whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.

They have a tendency around here to make a big fuss about everything.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    I cannot work in the summer heat w/o AC. I literally feel sick to my stomach on days when there is high humidity and heat combined. I believe there are laws regarding heat and A/C, i.e. providing minimum and maximum temperatures.
    First world problem. With time you would adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I don't understand this whole temporary shut down move for a transformer. Who does the transformer belong to? What is required to replace it? I ask because our power company can replace a transformer in around 24 hours on the pole and I would think if this is a planned thing that it might only be two or three days?
    I agree. There's more to the story that the OP is not being told. If all that needs to happen is a transformer get replaced it shouldn't take more than a day. One blew up in the street in front of my apartment in NYC years ago. Within a few hours Consolidated Edison had replaced it.

Thread Information