Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building shutting down at work (and can they do this?)

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    This is the job you've not been happy in for a long time isn't it? Or was it co-worker issues? Sorry that here is one more thing. A lot of things dictate when vacations happen. My husband's employer only had 8 weeks in the summer to fit everyone's vacations. One week everyone is off, my husband will be pissed off if he can't take his other weeks around that week. He hates split time off.
    Yeah, draconian vacation rules.

DH worked for a tree company. The first few years there he earned one week of paid vacation annually. And here is the tough part—he was expected to take that vacationin one week increments, no vacation hours or days used individually. They wanted him to use an entire week all at once.

We hold a lot of this company’s stock, making up about 8% of our assets They are doing well.

I don't understand this whole temporary shut down move for a transformer. Who does the transformer belong to? What is required to replace it? I ask because our power company can replace a transformer in around 24 hours on the pole and I would think if this is a planned thing that it might only be two or three days?

I have had to run summer camp at different sites 2 years now. It is a BIG deal to move everything for a camp out and then pack up and move back. But construction and renovation were essential. Then the hail storm a year ago May trashed northwest Denver and the school i was going to. Alot of change, touch and go, and in the end my 8 week camp became a 4 week camp, that cut my staff hours unless they wanted to go to another site, i had to float and cover vacation, but also got a nice vacation bonus out of it.

The point of this is that it happens. It does really suck but it happens. The people in charge are making a lot of decisions pretty fast in a situation like this. I got grumpy last summer over how stressful it was, but things break (in our case 100 windows in very old school building). I would focus on any safety concerns you have and work with the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post

The point of this is that it happens. It does really suck but it happens. The people in charge are making a lot of decisions pretty fast in a situation like this. I got grumpy last summer over how stressful it was, but things break (in our case 100 windows in very old school building). I would focus on any safety concerns you have and work with the rest.
    solid advice.

First of all, the OSHA and Employment laws should be posted some where in your work place. Look for 3 laminated posters about 24x36 in. they usually end up on the backs of doors. Second, is this a public, i.e. state run, college/university? Check to see if Unemployment benefits are actually available to you. In California, in some years, they have not been. Third, yes, your employer can tell you when you will not work, i.e. take "vacation" time. [The University of California furloughed all employees for 10 days in late Dec/early Jan for many years. They saved a huge amount of electricity cost, at a time when most people wanted to be off any way.] If you don't accept your "vacation" pay for those days, they will be "Leave Without Pay." Fourth, if they say you cannot work because it it unsafe, etc. and are holding the job for you, you are not eligible for unemployment benefits; which are negligible anyway, probably about 25% of your normal pay, then they deduct taxes at your regular rate and you get almost nothing. Not something to aspire to. Fifth, sounds to me like you are wanting a kick to look for a different job. Go for it!!

They are saying 4-8 weeks. My understanding is that it takes nowhere near that long to replace a transformer, even if it's underground.

I get the feeling we're not being told the whole story here.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    How long will your building be down?

In my state, if I understand it, one must be laid off for more than two weeks to receive pay. And it's at the current unemployment rates, which are quite a bit lower than normal wages. And, having used the weeks, if you then become unemployed that money is not available to you. (Although I don't think you should focus on that).

I assume if all electrical service is shut down to the building, that only personnel necessary to the work on the site - ex, maintenance personnel - would be allowed access.

There is a poster in the break room--don't know if that's the one you're referring to, but I'll check it out. It's a private institution.

I am always looking for another job, particularly on campus. I get very discouraged because there doesn't seem to be anything out there for me. (My employment history is a very long story...)

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    First of all, the OSHA and Employment laws should be posted some where in your work place. Look for 3 laminated posters about 24x36 in. they usually end up on the backs of doors. Second, is this a public, i.e. state run, college/university? Check to see if Unemployment benefits are actually available to you. In California, in some years, they have not been. Third, yes, your employer can tell you when you will not work, i.e. take "vacation" time. [The University of California furloughed all employees for 10 days in late Dec/early Jan for many years. They saved a huge amount of electricity cost, at a time when most people wanted to be off any way.] If you don't accept your "vacation" pay for those days, they will be "Leave Without Pay." Fourth, if they say you cannot work because it it unsafe, etc. and are holding the job for you, you are not eligible for unemployment benefits; which are negligible anyway, probably about 25% of your normal pay, then they deduct taxes at your regular rate and you get almost nothing. Not something to aspire to. Fifth, sounds to me like you are wanting a kick to look for a different job. Go for it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

There are many people who work in jobs in the summer heat and some who work without electricity (state park rangers come to mind). I can't imagine there are laws mandating A/C. You are entitled to things like toilet facilities that are basic.

Libraries, and the human race, predate the invention of electricity. You will survive.
    I cannot work in the summer heat w/o AC. I literally feel sick to my stomach on days when there is high humidity and heat combined. I believe there are laws regarding heat and A/C, i.e. providing minimum and maximum temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I don't understand this whole temporary shut down move for a transformer. Who does the transformer belong to? What is required to replace it? I ask because our power company can replace a transformer in around 24 hours on the pole and I would think if this is a planned thing that it might only be two or three days?
    I've been told by more than one person that this 4-8 weeks time frame is bullcrap. I don't know who owns the transformer, the campus or the power company. It is possible that it's the campus, and if that's the case, lord love a duck. They eff up everything around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    This is the job you've not been happy in for a long time isn't it? Or was it co-worker issues? Sorry that here is one more thing.
    Thanks, yes, this is the job. Thankfully the co-worker got moved to another position. Though I have heard that he will be in the same room with the rest of my department when we are temporarily relocated. Looking forward to his annoying personal habits (i.e. nose-picking) and B.O.

Not.

Thread Information