Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian Trollery

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I find it rather entertaining to see the left attacking Trump from the right and completely disregarding the the way Hillary Clinton and Debbie Wasserman Schultz actually rigged the primary in Hillary’s favor .....a much larger threat to our democracy than the pathetic attempts of russian twitter and Facebook operatives. Do you forget, Bernie could have easily beaten Trump? That’s the real crime here.
    It might be the first time I've heard a conservative saying it's a crime Bernie didn't become president. Do we really know it was Hillary and not just some kid living in his parent"s basement.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    It might be the first time I've heard a conservative saying it's a crime Bernie didn't become president. Do we really know it was Hillary and not just some kid living in his parent"s basement.
    Sir, I deny being a conservative! I am an independent thinker. I don’t know if I could have been convinced to vote for Bernie.....but I felt some pity for him since he put so much effort into it and was cheated out of the opportunity. I would have liked to have seen the great experiment as long as the republic survived.

I’m quite conservative, and I was going to vote for Bernie just to see the fun. I even reregistered as a Democrat to help.

“Bother”, said Pooh.

Sir, I deny being a conservative! I am an independent thinker. I don’t know if I could have been convinced to vote for Bernie.....but I felt some pity for him since he put so much effort into it and was cheated out of the opportunity. I would have liked to have seen the great experiment as long as the republic survived.
    Life is complicated. I have a friend who thinks ronald reagan was the greatest president ever. (not that he is old enough to actually remember reagan when he was in office) And he owns a bunch of guns including an AR15 that he built from a kit. (needless to say, he lives in the San Francisco suburbs, not in the city itself...) His favorite vacation activity is to drive down to AZ to visit his brother (who spent a decade in the marines and has a bigger gun collection than my friend) and go out on federal land and shoot guns together. He's at the older end of the millennial generation and basically thinks all politicians are lying assholes. He voted for Bernie in the primary simply because that was the one candidate from either party that he thought was being upright and truthful about his intentions and goals, approximately 2/3 of which my friend agreed with. He didn't vote in the general because he just didn't trust either candidate at all.

My humble apologies. I don't much like labels either unless it's something with a little wiggle room, like liberal redneck. I consider 45 a similar grand experiment similar to your Bernie thought...as long as the republic survives.

I don't know much about the Hillary primary rigging, but if you are saying Hillary rigged the primary and it was a great threat to our democracy, you would think the DOJ could be requested to investigate this on order of the president? Assuming there is enough evidence of a legal violation to justify the investigation.

Hamilton 68 is an on-line resource that monitors about 600 Twitter accounts identified as either linked to the government of Russia or involved in repeating/disseminating Russian propaganda. It is named after Federalist Paper #68, in which Alexander Hamilton warned against foreign involvement in the politics of the new American Republic. In the future Hamilton 68 plans to add coverage of Facebook, Reddit and YouTube.

As I understand it, Russia aims to weaken the United States by promoting fractiousness and division. False accounts of white women being assaulted by black women waiting in line to buy movie tickets for "Black Panther" in Los Angeles are a recent example from Hamilton 68.

We may have hot buttons, and the internet can easily rile us up, especially if we believe the words and pictures that are intended for that effect.

Rather than get into a "dialog of the deaf" with a message-board adversary on some hot-button topic, it may be good to reflect, as one American to another, on the words of Voltaire: ... I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write.

I will try to provide a link to the Alliance for Securing Democracy, and Hamilton 68.
    http://securingdemocracy.gmfus.org

I find it rather entertaining to see the left attacking Trump from the right and completely disregarding the the way Hillary Clinton and Debbie Wasserman Schultz actually rigged the primary in Hillary’s favor .....a much larger threat to our democracy than the pathetic attempts of russian twitter and Facebook operatives. Do you forget, Bernie could have easily beaten Trump? That’s the real crime here.
    I don't know if Bernie could have easily beaten Trump, although it would have been a fun campaign. I do agree that Mrs. Clinton seems to have gotten more bang for her buck in the slime oozing department. The Steele dossier cost less than a thirty-minute talk with Goldman Sachs.

But I do think all the portentous blather about "the threat to our democracy" is overblown. If we are indeed so credulous that our elections can be swayed by Russian trolls, Fox News or whoever your favorite demon happens to be, the real problem is our own stupidity rather than some external player.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    That's why fear-mongering about the Red Menace always makes me laugh. You could hold commie cell meetings in a phone booth if there were any of those remaining. Even the few communists abroad in the world are mostly practicing capitalists. Greed is a strong motivator.
    I haven't heard much Red Menace talk for the last thirty years or so. The good guys won.

Although if anyone's interested, the Castro family maintains a sort of Stalinist Colonial Williamsburg park south of Florida.

Excellent summary here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...ates_elections

Or, we can just go with Trump's gut:
    "On November 11, 2017, after meeting Vladimir Putin at a summit in Vietnam, Trump said, "I just asked him again. He said he absolutely did not meddle in our election. ... Every time he sees me he says: 'I didn't do that,' and I really believe that when he tells me that, he means it."

Nothing to see here ...

Williamsmith
    We do the same thing to other countries.....but I hope we are better at it than the Russians. Judging from the discord and turmoil we’ve caused in the past.....yeah we are pottery good at it.

Thread Information