Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old sayings and new

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I am going to put a kibosh on posting in this thread for now. Send it to file 13, as it is full of malarkey. Makes me feel like explaining what a Kojak with a Kodak is to someone knee high to a grasshopper.
    Well phrased
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I am going to put a kibosh on posting in this thread for now. Send it to file 13, as it is full of malarkey. Makes me feel like explaining what a Kojak with a Kodak is to someone knee high to a grasshopper.
    Haha!

Language is dynamic and ever-changing. The phrase "different to" grates on my ears, for example, but that's the way it goes.

Ha! Just last night I said "cheese and crackers" a few times while watching a horror movie with one of the boys. He turned to me after awhile and said "I can't figure out what you mean by that". So I had to look it up today. Based in the '20's a good christian girl's way of trying not to say "Jesus Christ" when exclaiming fear or excitement......but I also learned it's London cockney for "testicles".
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

In my daughter's middle school, "legit" is good and "septic" is bad.

If you ask me, they're just a bunch of little pillocks.

I love to use phrases I overheard my grandmother and her friends using when I was a child (grandma was born in 1894). One of my favorites is 'get a wiggle on' meaning hurry up. I also like to say things backwards as my great grandparents, things such as 'throw the horse over the fence some hay'. I often say 'watch out your head' - within the family of course. Recently I heard a young person say 'that is really rad'. I wondered if she knew I used that word in 1970's? Now if she says 'we were rapping' I will have to say something to her.

Thread Information