Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Governor has been indicted :(

Where did I read that it was to her ex that she complained about the photo and the blackmail threat. Her ex has all the info and the records to back it up according to the report anyway. Creepy behaviour is dubious no matter what.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

At the end of the day we can thank republicans for this situation. Prior to the mutually consenting Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky situation the press didn't cover politicians' personal lives. But the holier than though republicans had to get their panties in a twist over clinton, so now, every politician gets subjected to the same thing. Bummer. Anyone wanting to be a lifelong politician should probably get chemically castrated...

Yppej
    In Massachusetts the Senate President lost his position because his estranged husband groped other men and threatened them to keep silent because of his relationship with a powerful man. The president did not know this was happening.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    At the end of the day we can thank republicans for this situation. Prior to the mutually consenting Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky situation the press didn't cover politicians' personal lives. But the holier than though republicans had to get their panties in a twist over clinton, so now, every politician gets subjected to the same thing. Bummer. Anyone wanting to be a lifelong politician should probably get chemically castrated...
    interesting, I never thought of it that way.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    interesting, I never thought of it that way.
    Perhaps you never thought of it that way because you realize that the most powerful man in the free world while occupying the Oval Office in the House provided to him by the American taxpayers cannot reasonably be thought to have done nothing wrong by having oral sex with a young impressionable powerless woman aspiring to be something...anything. Because you realize that the crime of official oppression rightly applies to a man taking advantage of a woman based on his political power and her weak position. And then he lie about it by shaking his crooked wrinkled finger at the American taxpayers ...... so what happened to him was truly the f’in you get for the f’in you got.

I forgot to add, and this may be a more important point. This kind of “mutually consenting” thought came from the sameness genesis that rape victims are often accused of. “She asked for it...or she wanted it...or she didn’t say no.” Law has age definitions because it has to have defined ages for statutory rape. The assumption is that legally of person of a certain age cannot consent to a person of a certain greater age. It’s the foundation that child sex assault is built on. Sexual assault is not about sex.....it is about the power of the assault.

What happened in the Oval Office was about the power of assault....it had nothing to do with sex. Sex was only the means by which Clinton fulfilled his need for power.
    Last edited by Williamsmith; 2-24-18 at 10:29am.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    You know.....I kind of take offense at how Americans seem to expect their politicians to play a certain role in their private lives. Get this - when Francious Mitterand died in France, both his wife and his mistress appeared at his funeral and they comforted each other in public. In France this is socially acceptable. I'm not saying this is right per se, but what I am saying is that politicians private lives in this area should be off the public radar.

Seriously. This whole business with Monica and Bill all those years ago? In my opinion this was not the public's business - this was between Bill and Hillary and Monica. I realize that America is not the only country that intrudes upon their politician's personal lives but why can't we be more like France? Seriously, life is short, we only get so many spins around the sun.....what Bill did was morally wrong in my book, yes, but it was also not the business of the general public. Jeepers, in this social and legal climate were I a politician I would NEVER have sex - it's too risky for a male politician these days, or for a male of any real financial means. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So depressing and so unnecessary. I don't like what this says about America that our politicians personal lives are wide open to the general public. Creepy and very much overreach. Ick. Rob

I don’t think the problem is in having a wife and a mistress.

if you have a wife and a mistress and you are able to manage both relationships such that not only do they both grieve for you, but they turn to each other for comfort - it shows that you have strong relationship skills, which are useful in a politician.

if you lie to your wife and threaten your mistress and hurt everyone involved, you are not a responsible grown up who should be managing his or her own life, let alone decisions that profoundly affect other people (public policy)

IMHO being poly has nothing to do with your suitability for office other than the opportunities it provides for interpersonal skills.

being dishonest and untrustworthy has a lot to do with it.

If the Clintons had stood up together and said “yes, he was having a sexual relationship with her and we all discussed it and thought we were on the same page and we are heartbroken to hear that Monica felt coerced and uncomfortable and unable to talk to us about it.” It would have been a very different conversation.

But on the plus side for equality the democratic female governor of Nashville is now out after having an affair with her police security dude on the city's dime. Maybe we need to start expecting our politicians to take a vow of celibacy. Or more accurately, admit that that's what we already expect.

Some folks expect purity from politicians. I have a hunch they are seldom questioned as to why they do. Perhaps fundamentalist religion has something to do with it. (A 2% sample of the biblical references to purity can be found at 1 Thess 4:3-8 and Matt 5:28 ) Also, it has been observed that life in America is tribal, and each tribe has its own facts.

Thread Information