Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about counterfeit goods?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    It’s illegal. I’m in imports and CBP focuses heavily on IPR (intellectual property rights), trademark violations and the like.
    The legality of actions is not a primary focus for the 85006? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Just thought I'd ask this as a discount store near me was busted recently for selling counterfeit goods - get this - toothpaste, shampoo, and women's makeup. This shop was not selling phony Rolexes or phony high end ladie's handbags but phony things that people most people use regularly - at least in the case of the shampoo and toothpaste.

I've asked a few folks in the 85006 and the response I've gotten is that counterfeit goods are a blessing as they get goods into the hands of those who can't afford them AND avoid the exploitive markup. What do you think?
    I'm not sure why anybody would want to break the law to put fake toothpaste made from unknown ingredients into their mouth. You can call it a blessing, but to me it seems like a foolish risk.

I can understand discount goods being a blessing, but not counterfeit goods.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    IL....Whoah.....please. Go ahead and knock me, I have tough skin but please don't slam the 85006. Please don't slam my community - it's struggling and most people are doing the best they can every day in a society that often works against them and not for them. I'm not even saying extend respect - just neutrality or indifference. But slam me all you want, once again I have thick skin. Rob

Yppej
    I feel better about it than I do about high end Ulta Beauty smoothing out used makeup and other products with a Qtip and selling them to unsuspecting consumers as new. More expensive is not always better.

Came back to add that I beg to differ with your post. The 85006 was one of the better represented zip codes during both the United Airlines protests last year (after the unfortunate Dr. Dao incident if you remember) and of the Wells Fargo protests the preceding year. Both cases show residents of the 85006 very much focused on the legalities of actions by both United Airlines and the Wells Fargo brand. We also sent three unemployed residents of the 85006 up to Salt Lake City to protest the Jeff Payne I'm A Cop So Therefore I Am Above The Law Fiasco that ended out netting Victim Alex Wubbels a cool 500K - though I believe she settled far too cheaply, I would have been in it for no less than 7 million personally.....but of course that was not my call in this situation and Victim Alex Wubbels is certainly free to settle for whatever amount she deems appropriate and acceptable.

The point? I have posted more than once of incidents in which residents of this barrio have very much focused on legalities and did something constructive regarding the illegal actions of others. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 2-23-18 at 9:07pm. Reason: Came back to capitalize the V in the word victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    It’s illegal. I’m in imports and CBP focuses heavily on IPR (intellectual property rights), trademark violations and the like.
    Tradd, my Mother has an old boss she's kept in touch with over the years that can afford to travel often. This lady often travels to the third world and one of her pursuits is buying phony goods overseas. She got caught once by CBP and was allowed to keep all her phony goods and no fine was levied for the following reason (and please google and don't believe me - google is your friend here).

As a US citizen, you can legally bring in one (and only one) counterfeit good in a product class from outside of the country every 30 days and this must be on your person or in your luggage - not sent via mail or express mail service from overseas. By one good from each product class I mean one phony Rolex, one phony pair of shoes, one phony handbag, one phony Mount Blanc pen, one phony whatever. This is legal every 30 days....but if you are caught with two or more phony anything (of the same product class), US CBP can seize if they so desire. From what I've read online if you have two phony watches and you get a human CBP officer (as I did last time when US CBP let me reenter the US on just an Arizona State ID Card as I had my passport in my inner jacket pocket but forgot I had it there and thought I'd lost it) they will let you go with two phony watches but at three they suspect you are in it for resale and start getting nasty.

For the record, I'd love to find a phony Mount Blanc pen in Nogales or Algodones but to date never have. Rob

PS....I came back to add that the massive quantity importation of counterfeit merchandise however - far beyond an individual appearing at a US Port of Entry with a phony good or two in different product classes - now that is very much illegal from what I understand....and I'm guessing this is the counterfeit scenario you referred to in your post as illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Came back to add that I beg to differ with your post. The 85006 was one of the better represented zip codes during both the United Airlines protests last year (after the unfortunate Dr. Dao incident if you remember) and of the Wells Fargo protests the preceding year. Both cases show residents of the 85006 very much focused on the legalities of actions by both United Airlines and the Wells Fargo brand. We also sent three unemployed residents of the 85006 up to Salt Lake City to protest the Jeff Payne I'm A Cop So Therefore I Am Above The Law Fiasco that ended out netting victim Alex Wubbels a cool 500K - though I believe she settled far too cheaply, I would have been in it for no less than 7 million personally.....but of course that was not my call in this situation and Alex Wubbels is certainly free to settle for whatever amount she deems appropriate and acceptable.

The point? I have posted more than once of incidents in which residents of this barrio have very much focused on legalities and then went and did something constructive regarding the illegal actions of others. Rob
    ahhh! Focused on legalities by others, and actions by others! Yes! Way to go 85006.

ahhh! Focused on legalities by others, and actions by others! Yes! Way to go 85006.
    The assumption being that residents of the 85006 commit illegal acts and don't care? Or am I reading you wrong? For the record those I associate with in the 85006 are law abiding individuals......If I am reading your post here right (?) - and I'm not sure I am - if I am reading it right I'm glad I have no desire to "upgrade" my zip code unless it's to leave the US for good. If I'm reading you right (?), it's comments like this that make me proud to live in the 85006. Rob

What the heck does “exploitive markup” mean?

Thread Information