Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about counterfeit goods?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

How do you feel about counterfeit goods?

Just thought I'd ask this as a discount store near me was busted recently for selling counterfeit goods - get this - toothpaste, shampoo, and women's makeup. This shop was not selling phony Rolexes or phony high end ladie's handbags but phony things that people most people use regularly - at least in the case of the shampoo and toothpaste.

I've asked a few folks in the 85006 and the response I've gotten is that counterfeit goods are a blessing as they get goods into the hands of those who can't afford them AND avoid the exploitive markup. What do you think?

I don't know that I've ever knowingly used a counterfeit consumer good, although a friend did gift me a $5 Rolex from China. It didn't work.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Just thought I'd ask this as a discount store near me was busted recently for selling counterfeit goods - get this - toothpaste, shampoo, and women's makeup. This shop was not selling phony Rolexes or phony high end ladie's handbags but phony things that people most people use regularly - at least in the case of the shampoo and toothpaste.

I've asked a few folks in the 85006 and the response I've gotten is that counterfeit goods are a blessing as they get goods into the hands of those who can't afford them AND avoid the exploitive markup. What do you think?
    rob, why do these essential goods have to knock off the trademarks and proprietary marketing of the name brands?

Why cant 80056 use off brands? This just plays into the socio economic product promotion wisdom that poor people are easily manipulated by marketing. Why is that?

You are dishonest in your analysis. If people need toothpaste, they dont need Crest. Actually, salt is just as good.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-23-18 at 5:09pm.

It’s illegal. I’m in imports and CBP focuses heavily on IPR (intellectual property rights), trademark violations and the like.

Yeah, what’s wrong with the store brand?

store brands may be just as good, but salt is not just as good as toothpaste, it doesn't have fluoride and that makes a difference in tooth decay. Of course frankly I wouldn't TRUST counterfeit brands to have it either (as unlike the store brand they are openly dishonest (plus the store brand does care about it's reputation, it's ability to be sued etc.). So why believe any of their consumer claims either with a fraudulent product, you really have no idea what you are consuming with the counterfeit brand and you want to put that in your mouth?).

So salt might be just as good in that case, at least it's probably mostly what it appears to be and at least it's probably fairly harmless to consume as is baking soda even if they lack the decay prevention of legitimate toothpaste.
    Trees don't grow on money

I remember a case a few years back that supposedly name brand toothpaste at the dollar store was adulterated with something not good for us. Can’t remember what it was and don’t feel like googling now!

Counterfeit goods may be adulterated and no one will know when, where or how it was done. Toothpaste, for example, needs to be only a pea-sized amount. Brush more often and use toothpaste once a day. There are other ways to reduce costs than dealing with the unknown. You can be sure that the counterfeit goods are generating close to the same profit margin, IMHO anyway.

I believe that Tradd's observation was triggered by a report of toothpaste sold in a dollar store that had gone to Africa and back when the production code was examined and it was well past its expiry date.

From CBC:
    "A U.S. government report says a Toronto-area mall is among the most notorious sources of pirated and counterfeit goods in the world.

Pacific Mall, a predominantly Chinese-Canadian shopping centre in Markham, Ont., is one of 18 brick-and-mortar locations and 25 online retailers named by the U.S. Office of the Trade Representative in its annual review of so-called "notorious markets."

The U.S. government says sales of counterfeit goods at Pacific Mall are "sprawling and pervasive" and that vendors "operate largely with impunity (as) requests for assistance from local law enforcement have reportedly gone unanswered."

The new report says some of the counterfeit items available at the mall, including cosmetics, sunglasses and perfumes, can pose a risk to public health and safety.

Pacific Mall is the only Canadian market included on the list, though the report notes that one of the fastest-growing advertising networks that cater to online sellers of counterfeit goods is based in Canada.

Representatives of Pacific Mall were not immediately available for comment."

More from Snopes who advise that some claims of expired or unsafe toothpaste are true- https://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpaste.asp

I look at the dollar store items and walk away. Few items are actually cheaper of necessities if one examines the contents and one's use. Non-essentials, like birthday cards, seasonal decorations etc., are cheaper I often think that crime elements may be involved as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I remember a case a few years back that supposedly name brand toothpaste at the dollar store was adulterated with something not good for us. Can’t remember what it was and don’t feel like googling now!
    I recall that, or it was a Law and Order episode I have an issue with it because I know what brands I have reactions to and I need to know that they are authentic. I don't mind store brand, just be honest about what you are selling. If there are any issues with the product I wouldn't want the company being ripped off being held responsible.

it seems the consumer only has so many protections
    - regulation - but that is precisely one reason that discount store may have been busted, you can't regulate that which is fraudulent to begin with
    - threat of class action
    - brand reputation, Crest has an interest here but so does Walgreens brand or whatever
    - consumer discernment, but while this might apply to inspecting say an orange or a piece of clothing, this doesn't apply for mysterious semi-liquids like toothpaste and shampoo, you can't apply your perceptions to weed out what those really are, they are mystery substances, best apply your brain to just stick to something legit
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information