Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For microwave users

For microwave users

Melamine dishes are all the rage now. They are being made in fashionable patterns, pretty, fun, and sometimes but not always inexpensive.

Pier One has expensive ones.

They cannot be used in a miceowave oven.

that is ridiculously limiting for me. What about you, could you have dishes that do not work in the microwave?

Yppej
    Not for everyday use, only special occasions.

No way. I had melamine dishes once--picked them up at a garage sale and I liked them for a while because they were light and a cool retro color, but I wouldn't buy melamine now for the reason you stated--can't put them in a microwave--and also because they will probably sit in the landfill until the end of time.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I passed along my microwave, but I wouldn't buy Melamine because 1) I've never seen a color or shape I particularly liked, 2) they're lightweight (not a plus for me), and 3) what Catherine said.

Friends restaurant uses them for most of their plates. Those same dishes are manufactured two ways, and replacements tend to be whatever is cheaper at the time. All the ones I have seen, look commercial and if I wanted some, I would just buy a few from them when they got the next replacements. (I have done ordering for them as they are computer illiterate and I have found some places they are quite happy with, at cheaper prices then the first few Google responses)
    Didn't realize/look/know this was a rage. Garage sale "enthusiast" mom, last told me Corel was the thing and bought hers at a garage sale, so I am probably years out of date.
    Be years before I break enough stuff to warrant new dishes, and by then, I will probably be offered/accept someones free china, as it is just a tool to me. I'd prefer free, or all white as I don't see the need for fancy.

Corel for me as well. Got ours as wedding shower gifts over 25 years ago and still going strong.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We're not likely to be in the market for new dishes anytime soon, so this is all a hypothetical. But for me the issue is that I don't particularly want plastic dishes. Not being able to microwave them is just an added negative. While we don't routinely go straight from microwave to dinner table I will do that on occasion if I'm eating by myself or whatever. And we do use our regular dinner plates when thawing out meat in the microwave. Having to keep extra dishes just for the microwave doesn't sound like an efficient plan.

Doubt I would buy them, don't really like plastic either (the #1 reason is it's a pain to clean - I even got rid of all plastic containers etc.), but I don't own a microwave either so that wouldn't matter.

Corel for me as well. Got ours as wedding shower gifts over 25 years ago and still going strong.
    oh big fan, someone here said they had new Corelle explode on them, so I thought about getting rid of them, thought about it, darn I just like them too much especially their ease to clean without a dishwasher, so whatever I even bought a few more, if I die by Corelle it was the way I was meant to go and hey at least my dishes were easy to clean. They do break sometimes if dropped.
    Trees don't grow on money

I got a pfalztgraff pattern MANY years ago, and my mom loves adding to it. So that is pretty much all I use. Microwave, dishwasher safe and I can find matching anything under the sun if I want, like 5 different types of bowls, and holiday platters and gravy boats and soup tureens. I chose a plain white pattern so it is easy.

When I'm settled, I'm going to buy a lot of colorful, mismatched dishes. I've had some version of boarding house beige forever. They'll be stoneware, though. I learned my lesson with china.

Thread Information