Thread: kids moving out

kids moving out

So my baby and his girlfriend are basically moved out, sleeping and eating at the new place. It is weird. I was so looking forward to better sleep since I get up at 5 am and they go to bed after 10. No matter how we try to be polite is is hard to be silent in a small space. The first couple nights my cat woke me up multiple times by patting my face with his paws! he is used to having 2 other cats around. I started putting out his food before bed and that helped.

Kinda having that empty nest thing, but then I moved a lot of stuff out of my room that was overcrowded with yarn and craft materials. It feels a lot better. And I finally got my repair part for my vacuum, whew, Moving creates some serious need to vacuum. My fridge is much more empty and filled only with food I like. I could get along with a mini fridge almost.

I have until late May to enjoy this and then the rent will likely go up and it will be time to move. I am thinking about renting a room and a storage unit for 2 years and get a chunk of student loan paid down.

This is a major step in life, indeed. Very cool that options have opened up for you.

it seems that your son has a stable job. What about his girlfriend, is she employed regularly? I ask because it sounds like rent is pretty high in Denver and they need two i cmes to make it. I hope they dont become boomerang kids, is my point.

From Ode on Solitude by Alexander Pope

Blest, who can unconcernedly find
    Hours, days, and years slide soft away,
    In health of body, peace of mind,
    Quiet by day,

Sound sleep by night; study and ease,
    Together mixed; sweet recreation;
    And innocence, which most does please,
    With meditation. ...

Iris, his girlfriend does have a stable job but doesn't earn very much. She is looking for a better job since she did a good training on floral arrangements in fall and has been working in that field. Her parents bought the condo and so if they are short on rent it will probably be okay. He makes good money but has a lot of car expenses with an older car.

Honestly the boomerang thing is sometimes about the parents and sometimes about the kids. Lots of people my age were hurt badly in the recession and are not recovering that quickly in an expensive town. I think we need to learn to work and live together more successfully in high rent areas than worry too much about everyone having their own space. Maybe roommate situations would be better than family, but often older family are the ones with the stable place to live. No judgement here!

You and your son coexisted well, so yeah, it was a good living situation for the both of you being together.

I am watching my friend taking in her mentally ill daughter, again, with a grandchild. There is a lot of bouncing back there. I have one of the daugher’s cats for “a month”but not being naive, I realize I may have a cat permenantly.

Thread Information