Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: List of Average Property Taxes in NJ released

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

List of Average Property Taxes in NJ released

New Jersey is notorious for its high property taxes. I've taken it for granted for 30 years now, but you have to see this list of average taxes in each town. Can you imagine paying 31k a year in property taxes?

My town falls in at the 9,300k range.

The day it crosses into 5 figures I am so out of here. My taxes in VT will be high by some people's standards--$300/month, but to me it's like chicken feed.

Do you consider your property taxes to be reasonable for what you get?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Ours on based on value and age of the home. So our 1950's 1400 sq ft ranch is worth 350k yet we only pay 700/year in taxes. It is probably why our schools are about the worst in the nation. If our house was newer with the same value we would pay more.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    New Jersey is notorious for its high property taxes. I've taken it for granted for 30 years now, but you have to see this list of average taxes in each town. Can you imagine paying 31k a year in property taxes?

My town falls in at the 9,300k range.

The day it crosses into 5 figures I am so out of here. My taxes in VT will be high by some people's standards--$300/month, but to me it's like chicken feed.

Do you consider your property taxes to be reasonable for what you get?
    We pay $3700 annually and I do not mind it. I use a lot of city services and love the garbage service. lOVE IT! Few love their garbage service as I do. I get giant garbage cans behind my house, in the alley. Three different kinds. I get water at a flat rate. I get wood chips and compost delivered to our community garden for all to take, and until recently I got piles of it delivered directly to my personal and private community garden, but rhey cut that service to save money. I dwill nt blame them, it was luxe.

so much of that tax money goes to the rotting school system, though, and I wouldnt send a child of mine to public schools here. So there’s that, really poor deliveray of education service.

Ours are about $2500. Water, sewer and such are separate. Love our library system which is included and our police/fire are first rate. Gentrification downtown is helping to level out the exempt church/not for profit properties. Our school system cannot seem to get their act together. They recently asked for 1 billion $$$ for salaries and such. Got so much negative feedback on lack of transparency, it is now down to $750 million. Going for the referendum vote this year. Real estate board already has come out against which is telling.

If I was you, I would beat the rush leaving while house prices still hold in NJ.

In Ontario, I pay $3200 a year for a 1300 sq ft new home (3BR, 2 bath on main floor, double garage, small pie-shaped lot) in town with most services included but pay extra for water, sewage and utilities. The property taxes I am reading here are surprising.
    Last edited by razz; 2-28-18 at 8:32am. Reason: Adding info
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Wow, you guys are getting such relative deals! I pay $5200 for a 1600 square foot house. No garbage collection, no water or sewer, and definitely no compost in that either. Just police/fire/library/roads/school. My house is assessed around 260k I think, which I would have a hard time getting if I sold.

HG: we also pay extra for everything you do but since ours are so cheap no complaining from me)

We pay about $3200. Our humble home is a little less than 1000 SF and our lot is 6400 SF. Trash pickup is included, but water and sewer are charged separately and run about $700 per year. I guess it's relatively cheap for a town quite close to Boston.

The prop taxes for the house we sold in Austin were at $10,500 when we sold it over a year ago - a 1950s 2 BR house with a carport. Our 2000sf house here in Colorado has taxes of $1000. Which is one of the main reasons we moved here. That being said, there are some obvious deficits here like not enough policeman that goes along with lower taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Can you imagine paying 31k a year in property taxes?
    Yes I can, pretty easily.
    There is a woman I know, that has made 18 year olds, up to her age group (she doesn't look it), 60ish, drool. She lived in a friends house for a bit, where the rentals were 30K a MONTH. She couldn't figure out how to swing that.
    On the other hand, a builder friend, invited me to see a house he was working on, that my house would fit in the master closet. The bought another lot, so the gymnasium roof, would NOT protrude above the rest of the houses roof, so no issues with the neighbors.
    I live in a poor section of town and have mostly been quite happy there for my life. I don't always consider my property taxes reasonable, because my city chooses to give TIFF/tax breaks to companies to move, further east in the town, diminishing values of area's like mine.

Thread Information