Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: List of Average Property Taxes in NJ released

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Moving from NY I can imagine taxes that high. Ours were close to $10,000 in a town in Upstate for a house just over $200,000 in value. We had a great school, and a lot of money went to snow removal. Plus someone has to pay for NYC to protect the Trump empire

I'm inclined to think my taxes are outrageous--at over 6K on a house worth (on paper) 700K--but we have relatively good, well-stocked schools, a world-class library system, and a carefully maintained infrastructure. So I guess I shouldn't complain.

Our house is tax-valued at around $215K (mid-70s rambler, 1700 sq ft, three bedrooms, finished basement, detached garage on a city lot). We pay around $2500/year in taxes plus about $300/year in road- and sewer-maintenance fees and $350/year for garbage collection. Of course, everything beyond that (security alarm permit, "special" trash, trades permits, etc.) is extra.

Except for truly slapdash road maintenance (our city is known to be terrible at it), yeah, I think we get what we pay for. Parks are in good shape, services are available outside of "banker's hours" (i.e., when taxpayers are around to use them), most public schools (even some within the city) are good, and there's still a sense among the government employees I know that what they do makes a positive difference.

Tax revenue is an issue in my city because there is so much property (city, county, and state government buildings; churches; universities; and health non-profits) which are not charged property tax anywhere near what they would pay as for-profit entities and there is no substantial amount of open land available for further development. The only way "out" is up, which bothers lots of folks here in older neighborhoods who don't like to see the density of the city increase. But at some point they will no longer be able to yell at the new kids to get off their lawns...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I forgot to mention our wonderful waterfront parks, including a huge state park. Yeah, I'll quit complaining (while contemplating a move...)

It will be interesting to see what impact the new limit on the deductability of state and local taxes will have on the middle class in places like New Jersey. I would think that at some point places like New Jersey will be in even more difficulty due to their significantly underfunded public pensions.

The village where I live just recently purchased the golf course where every household is going to have to pay for it. A WASTE of my money!!! I don't care if it is only $100/year now extra on my taxes. I don't golf! There was a referendum and they are planning on spending something like $32 million on new schools for a population of 7500!! They also are planning a new fire and police department and need a new sewer plant. I can't convince my SO to move. In a few years our taxes are sure to go up BIG TIME. Now they are about $3,500 for a 1800sf, 3 br, 1 1/2 bath 2 story with a 3 car garage. The house was built in the 40s and is nice but nothing special. Water, sewer, garbage pickup are not included.

I find the relative property valuations also interesting. Our extremely modest, one bedroom, no garage, no dishwasher, non-finished cellar etc. home is worth at least $300,000, and in fact our lot is probably worth that much without the house on it. Bot hey, we like it; it's home. But it does probably put us at the very lowest end of the property tax spectrum.

We put a market value of $235,000 on our house but at the moment that is low. But still, I believe I could sell it today,as is, for that price so it is fine. Again, our real estate taxes are $3,700 annually. Se also pay a city income tac of 1%. We also pay “personal property tax” a tax on motor vehicles. So it is all higher than just real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The village where I live just recently purchased the golf course where every household is going to have to pay for it. A WASTE of my money!!! I don't care if it is only $100/year now extra on my taxes. I don't golf! There was a referendum and they are planning on spending something like $32 million on new schools for a population of 7500!! They also are planning a new fire and police department and need a new sewer plant. I can't convince my SO to move.
    Interestingly (for a place where you need an orange ball several months of the year), Minnesota is one of the top golfing states -- or was: lots of the older players are moving to warmer climes (or just dying off) and Millennials don't seem to want to spend a few hours on a golf course with any frequency. So, many public and private courses have closed over the last five years or so; the most recent being the municipal course two cities away from us.

Must be a lot of golfers where you live. Unless it's being purchased in anticipation of the course closing and then controlling redevelopment of the property.

What was the result of the school referendum? Did it pass? And is SO okay with the coming levels of municipal spending? Civic life sure would be much different if we all paid for only the civic amenities we actually used.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies
    We also pay “personal property tax” a tax on motor vehicles. So it is all higher than just real estate.
    We also have such taxes. We also have taxes levied on the properties near big things like sports arenas or light rail. And we have permit fees for just about anything you can think of and probably a few you can't. And some places use property tax in lieu of local income taxes. It is far more than just property taxes.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

My Minnesota relatives are golfing fanatics but the younger generation is taking up curling as well.

Thread Information