Believe it or not, we recently held a primary election in Wisconsin. It was for a slot on the State Supreme Court. Two of the three major candidates essentially ran against Trump. The third one (who got the most votes) took a more traditional law-and-order stance. It's a "nonpartisan election", but you know...

Now I see the California Democrats did not endorse Diane Feinstein for her Senate run, apparently on the grounds of ideological impurity. She always seemed plenty liberal to me, but these are strange times.

I would have thought that normally the Democrats would be teeing up a 2010-style shellacking for the GOP. The economy's in decent shape, but Mr. Trump seems eager to disgust or embarrass at every opportunity. Some creative redistricting may get overturned. There is also the historical tendency to favor the outside party in the mid-terms.

But now I wonder if they may just snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. When I see Senator Warren drawing attention to that old Native American ancestry claim, I wonder if identity politics may yet drown out the pragmatists who are primarily interested in winning elections. The primaries begin in earnest next month. It will be interesting to see how the firebreathers in both parties do.