Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watching this fantastic video series right now!

I watched some of it. They mentioned Dr. Mercola, and I went from there. But I'm happy with what I'm doing.

A friend of mine was pre-diabetic so they sent her to a nutritionist and she never got diabetes after following her advice. She was not overweight. My DH has type II and I don't want to watch 9 videos to hear what the premise is. It sounded like Steve watched 1 1/2 and they never got to the premise of what they advise you to do.

OP, any information that advertises itself as allowing me to “Discover the shocking TRUTH”* with lots of exclamation points isnt a source I consider especially trustworthy. It may or may not contain facts. If it does, I guarantee that this isnt the only way to find good information, the I Thrive people dont have a monopoly on diabetes health facts.

But if it works for you, so be it, good cor you! I am not current on diabetes information so I wont waste your time having you explain the TRUTH according to this film. I wouldnt be able to analyze it for hype vs. fact.

I will say, since we are talking about it, that whatever diet Steve was on that he talked abput measuring carbs in broccoli is not a diet I will eat. Avoidance of giant carb numbers like bread and pasta, I understand. But avoid broccoli? Nope. That is too radical for me.

* this video series promotes itself using that phrase and also the quack publication Natural News says the film “reveals secret to reversing type 2 diabetes” with the hewdline “Diabetes SOLVED!” This is more loud hype journalism.

Iris Lilies, I am right with you on this one. Somewhere in all this is a money angle for sure. I always strive for "Balance in everything" and avoid anything radical whether food, religion or politics. :-)

Whether cancer, diabetes, or any other disease, there is no easy solution. It is hard work.

Want to add that any knowledge, properly evaluated, is probably not a bad thing. But advertising a "cure" or "shocking truth" turns me totally off. Too many snake oil people use these techniques.

IL and sweetana are covering the ground I was getting to.

The first video runs an hour and 21 minutes. After about 20 minutes of watching iThrive describe how terrible diabetes is (I know how bad it is; I've seen family and friends live with the symptoms for years, but, okay, maybe other viewers have never lived with anyone who's been diabetic for any length of time) and how it is becoming a worldwide scourge (it is) and seeing people self-flagellate for not doing "more" "sooner", I started skipping ahead. I did not see anything that resembled an action plan that buttressed iThrive's claims. To think that there are eight more videos in what likely is the same format ... well, ...

Then we get to the hype. As others have noted, terms like "cured" and "reversed" and "shocking truth" get my antennas waving.

First, diabetes is not exclusively a "lifestyle" disease. In some forms (Type 1 and Type 1.5 [LADA]) the body simply does not produce any usable insulin; no amount of exercise or mental conditioning or special diet or such will make up for that absence. At ths same time, there are millions of overweight/obese people who never contract diabetes and people with good body mass indexes and high fitness levels who do contract it. There is no one-size-fits-all to what causes diabetes or what is needed to treat/manage it.

Second, as I wrote earlier, in the absence of any external change, once diagnosed, diabetes is still present. T-cells do not regrow themselves. If untreated for a long time, the damage done by excess glucose in the body does not go away. There is scientific debate that insulin resistance can be reversed to "normal". But take away the exercise, the regulation of carbohydrate intake, and/or the medications, and diabetes continues.

At the same time, and, as I wrote earlier, there is a huge industry built around treating diabetes that I view with a great deal of skepticism. As with other chronic health issues (cancer, fibromyalgia, back pain, etc.), diabetes seems to offer a deep well of money to those who treat the afflicted. "Wonder drugs" that encourage already-weakened pancreases to produce even more insulin, blood-glucose meters given away because the manufacturers know they'll make back the cost (and then some) with test strips that cost over a dollar apiece, foods/supplements/shoes/magazines marketed specifically to diabetics, and the questionable recommendations of the American Diabetes Association, all give a strong impression that there is more interest in keeping the money machine going than there is in giving diabetics the tools to live their best lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Packratona!
    The videos are free to view as long as you watch each one as it comes up on youtube for 24 hours.
    That statement implies to me that, after 24 hours, there's a charge to view the videos. So is there a fee or not?

As others wrote, if this presentation is what gets people to review their risk factors and choose to act on them, good for them. There's just a lot here that strikes me as questionable and hidden. Not a fan.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I will say, since we are talking about it, that whatever diet Steve was on that he talked abput measuring carbs in broccoli is not a diet I will eat. Avoidance of giant carb numbers like bread and pasta, I understand. But avoid broccoli? Nope. That is too radical for me.
    I don't follow a ketogenic plan, though I'm not far from it. I try to keep under 30-40 grams of carbs a day (ketos shoot for 20-25) and try not to bunch too many of them into any one meal.

Broccoli (in fact, pretty much any brassica) is fine so long as you're not eating the entire head at a time. Some vegetables (like tomatoes and onions) naturally have higher levels of sugar so going overboard on eating them is not a good choice when you've got only 20-30-40 grams of carbs a day to "spend". But I have no issue eating reasonable quantities of non-root/non-starchy vegetables.

Low-carb/high-fat/keto is no magic bullet. For people with severe impairment of the pancreas, even reducing carb intake that severely won't be enough though it will allow the diabetic to use less medication and/or insulin. And especially for those who love grains and sweets, it can be a tough adjustment. I was never that much a fan of sugar and starches, which made it easier for me. But almost anyone who presents as some stage of diabetic can do it and it doesn't cost money for a special diet or (for many) meds. There is the cost of a blood-glucose meter at first. But, compared to co-pays or paying outright for drugs like Trulicity and Januvia, it's a pittance. And it's put my diabetes into remission. Win-win for me, I guess.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Packratonia, is this the video you were talking about, how you and your husband lost the weight?

IrisLilies, Jane, Steve - right on!

Diabetes could be five (or more) diseases. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...ealth-43246261

Ok everyone; watched all 9 videos, will report on my take on them, and reply to some of your messages later. This weekend only they are making available all 9 episodes to watch, no need to sign up or register, just go to this link. I will say I really liked the videos, and for me they were educational. The first several lay the groundwork, with interviews from various nutritionists. They then get at how to put it all into action, towards the end. Just thought I would let you know, in case any are interested in preventing and dealing with prediabetes and diabetes and want to watch some or all of the videos. https://go.ithriveseries.com/series-replay-xfvly9xe

Thread Information