Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Hermann, MO

When I hear Hermann, MO, I think wineries! Enjoy your new home.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Yes, wineries IL! Did that play any part in your decision?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Yes, wineries IL! Did that play any part in your decision?
    Haha, wine!

the wineries make this a lively little tourist town which is what I liked, lots going on in Hermann. There are 11 wineries and a couple of brew houses. Missouri wines are not very good but I will learn to like them.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-6-18 at 9:39am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Haha, wine!

the wineries make this a lively little tourist town which is what I liled, lots foing onin Hermann. There are 11 wineries and a couple of brew houses. Missouri wines are not very good but I will learn to like them.
    I had visions of you in a dramatic flair with one hand on your forehead and the other hand held to the chest to denote noble suffering for the good of others. Heck, someone has to do it!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I had visions of you in a dramatic flair with one hand on your forehead and the other hand held to the chest to denote noble suffering for the good of others. Heck, someone has to do it!
    I really am a paragon of virture. I live my life in service to humanity.The wine, she must be consumed!

hahahaha.

More “small town” incidents:

we bought a new washer and dryer. The young woman who sold us the products talked about her sister who lives 4 houses down the block from us. We chatted about the one eyed black cat who I had noticed the day before, her sister’s cat. He is excellent at killing moles.

we went to the Farm store to get grass seed and other stuff. The young woman who worked the cash register is Brittany, she lives across the street from us. I think we will hire her dad as our architect.

we have the worst looking house on the block, a plus, and we are across the street from an architect’s house remodeled by him and his architect wife. We have the better view, haha.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-18-18 at 12:44pm.

Here are images of ouf house and its oddities, some good, some WTF. I cant post these right side up, it is beyond me. Maybe CathyA can post a tutorial. anyways—

here is a special thing, a painting on canvas in the entry hall. It is painted by a well known citizen of Hermann, the woman who was the driving force to get Hermann’s historic district designated for state and national protections. This was her house, she had it built in the early 1940’s.

This painting covers all 4 walls.

here
    is a Victorian newell post and victorian walnut spindles from the 1885 era. This is a 1940’s house.

Here is a window, a window into the pantry. Hunh. This happened when they put a 1967 front on the house in order make it look like a 1959 house. Confused yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow! Love that painting!

And here is more, the good bad and ugly

Original bath pink tile from 40’s 50’s in perfect shape. Love love love it.

What is this curtain hiding? Why, it hides an ugly heat duct. Omg.

Super nice oak floors in the living room, just need refinished. Several rooms have pine floors in good condition and I suspect once we pull up linoleum and pergo junk, we will find wood floors in nice shape.

what I cant show you is the horrific wall board junk used throughout the house. In some me places horrible paneling covered it up. Likely we will pull it all down and put up plaster board on walls and ceilings.

upstairs are two cute decent sized bedrooms but the staircase head is ridiculous —no head room at all—and unusable. Will need big dormer.

we have decided to hire an architect, we need a professional to give us a unified vision. This is beyond us.

Is this what is referred to as a "money pit?"

Never mind; it is a nice, well-situated house with quirks, and you needed a hobby...

Thread Information