Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny Hermann, MO

Tiny Hermann, MO

Today we closed on a property in Hermann Missouri that will be our weekend house.

Herman is very small. We were walking around downtown killing time and waiting for the closing appointment. We stopped into one store that sold garden tchotchkes. We talked to the nice man behind the counter and we told him where we had just purchased a house, the street name. He thought a moment, and then asked us “are you the people who grow daffodils and iris?”

Ha ha ha ha. Yes we are!

Small towns, they be crazy, knowing everyone’s business.

Wow!!! First of all, congratulations! I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun getting out of town on the weekends!

Second, our first house after we were married was like that. Stormville, NY. If you wanted to work in Stormville your choice was pumping gas or bartending at the local dive. But there was a family-owned general store, and they had ears like Superman. They would listen to your conversations when you were talking to someone else in the store and then it became like the game Telephone. Inevitably, you'd hear your conversation played back to you by one of your neighbors, but not quite the same--details would be quite different. It was quaint, but tedious after a while.

But overall, I love small towns... one of the reasons Grand Isle appeals to me.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I hope you meet some friends of mine. She is at the Philly garden show right now. She makes copper garden art. She has a lovely backyard.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    I hope you meet some friends of mine. She is at the Philly garden show right now. She makes copper garden art. She has a lovely backyard.
    I may know who she is from my weekend stay in Hermann a few years ago. Does she live on the main drag, at the West end near the river bridge? She had a dog at the time, the person I am thinking of.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    It looks like a charming town and the history is interesting. It looks like they will be having a Wurstfest coming up with a wiener dog derby.

For a tiny town they have 150 buildings in the historic register. It should be a very fun and interesting place to live.

So excited for you, IL! Please post some pictures as you do your proposed renovations--it is already a gorgeous house, so can't wait to see what you do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    So excited for you, IL! Please post some pictures as you do your proposed renovations--it is already a gorgeous house, so can't wait to see what you do with it.
    Wait ‘till you see what is in our entry way. I havent showed a photo of it yet. It is an albatross but a quirky, fascinating one. It comes with an important History so it isnt something I can randomly rip off the walls without feeling the disappointment of the town.

Will show later when we actually get into the house and
    i can take some photos. The sellers are renting from us into next week so we are not in there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Wait ‘till you see what is in our entry way. I havent showed a photo of it yet. It is an albatross but a quirky, fascinating one. It comes with an important History so it isnt something I can randomly rip off the walls without feeling the disappointment of the town.

Will show later when we actually get into the house and
    i can take some photos. The sellers are renting from us into next week so we are not in there yet.
    Wow--can't wait to see what this is--all I can think of is some of the historic stenciling I have seen in Maine houses.. .

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I may know who she is from my weekend stay in Hermann a few years ago. Does she live on the main drag, at the West end near the river bridge? She had a dog at the time, the person I am thinking of.
    I want to say they had a beagle or a bird dog and maybe a cat or two.
    Looking forward to your updates to the house!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I'm thinking of making a trek back East in late summer (live in Phoenix now) and may drive by that way. I've driven past the signs on I70 for most of my life. I should stop in.
    Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!
    formerly known as Paula P

Thread Information