Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nor'easter

Nor'easter

Who else was impacted by the storm? We lost power for about 8 hours; at least we got to sleep through most of the outage and it was nice and warm in bed. I'm glad this didn't happen when we were having much colder weather. We have some puddles in the basement, but we've seen much, much worse. The river looked to be the highest I've ever seen yesterday during high tide. We just got rain, but Yppej, I imagine you got some snow?
    All in all, I would say we were pretty lucky!

We weren't that impacted. It was snowing yesterday morning when I left for my Master Gardener class. The roads weren't bad but on the way back a tree had fallen across the road, but I was able to navigate around it. DH had checked the sump pump but the basement stayed completely dry, even though the "wetlands" part of my back yard looks like a lake. The winds blew my back wooden yard glider over--that's never happened before. I was really concerned it had broken, but it's OK.

So glad to work from home and not have to deal with transportation & commuting issues!! We just hunkered down, cleaned out a cabinet, and watched I, Tonya.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Hi Rosa, just a lot of wind and rain. I expected snow so I was happy. The last storm we got water in the basement but this time the ground was warm enough to absorb it. I feel like one of the winners when it comes to global warming, and since this winter wasn't too bad am feeling comfortable about looking further afield for another position. The mean girl clique at work has really been ramping things up lately and the boss lets them, but I've found an hour plus commute is doable.

Yppej: That is so sad about the "mean girls." You would have thought we could have left that behind us in high school. So unfortunate that some people never seem to really transition to adulthood. I hope you find a happier work environment.

Yes, the falling trees have been deadly. I am watching from afar with great concern for the residents. Be safe.

We had part of the neighbor's tree come down, but it stayed in their front yard and didn't impact us. Did throw up some precautionary actions, though, and we parted at the nearby church in case the neighbor lost more of his trees across our drive. Was also worried about the trees at the back of the property - again, around where we park the cars - and several lost big branches, but no damage to us or neighbors. I feel like we dodged a bullet, as I know others not too far away got hit with downed power lines and blocked roads.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Thanks RR.

My dad told me they lost power for many hours last night and had to go to generator. He said they were without lights, tv, and bed adjustment. This was due to high winds in the area.
    I tried calling yesterday and the phones were not working, either.

So glad they are safe and warm in assisted living. this would have been a nightmare if they were still in their house.

We had power out for about 12 hours no phones or water but luckily we were not trapped in by snow, this morning we went out for breakfast and did errands, called the house and cheered when the answering machine worked, that means the power is on. Thanks to all those hard working electric people! In 44 years here I think we've only had at most 18 hours without power and that was during a blizzard.

The Nor’easter kept Martha Stewart from her speaking engagement here today. Her fan girls were unable to see her, too bad so sad. She was speaking at Art in Bloom at our Art
    museum and was planning to push her new book. Tickets sold put in 15 minutes.

Not being a Martha fangirl,I attended Art in Bloom yesterday to avoid the Martha crowd.

Thread Information