Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: March Frugals!

My DB and DSIL gave us two free tickets to a show -Escanaba in da moonlight - at the local playhouse, so DD and I went Friday. No cost expect gas and we had a coffee out before the show (which was sooo funny; it so could have been family, lol...). Great frugal fun. I love live theater, but seldom go. Cut the top off of a non-functioning bottle of lotion - there's at least a cup of product in there! Working on clearing out some of the pantry, but lots of things that are no longer on our food list will have to go to the food pantry. The freezer we will eat up, although there's a ton of old chuck roast, so most of that will probably need to become hamburger..

Glad you got free tickets--theatre is so expensive, it's kind of a luxury we don't do anymore, at the prices they charge.
    We did find minor league baseball within our budget this summer--and boy, that was fun!

May I suggest high school plays for fun live theater. It's amazing how much better they are than when I was in school!

March 13 todate frugals
    --errands to run/really drive today....blood work frugal use one lab 3 blocks from home,
    pick up prescriptions across the street from lab with prescriptions set up to all come due at the same time
    so pick up is only needed once every 3 months, hair cut at a place that was originally a barber turned hairdresser
    who does an amazing cut that lasts a good six weeks for $10.00 tax included (I give him a very good tip),
    returned a bag of books and DV's to library and picked up a bag more, and one last stop at the LCBO for
    a bottle of wine...a brand recommended by a friend a litre and a half for 13.95 cheap but not bad.
    ---just got home and got a call to replace a volunteer who had taken sick so agrreed to go and do a 3 hour shift
    no cost, and just a few blocks away.
    ---home for a supper of leftovers combined from a few meals this week.
    --then out to my TOPS meeting which is under a mile from home...$2.50 a week for time with friends, fun and
    weight loss support.
    All in all my day proves to me that I have been creating a life that is full of good people, comunity and frugality all
    in a 1 mile radius.

I can see how I have really made my life very comfortable, rewarding and fun without spending tons of money.

Quote Originally Posted by danna View Post
    March 13 todate frugals
    All in all my day proves to me that I have been creating a life that is full of good people, comunity and frugality all
    in a 1 mile radius.

I can see how I have really made my life very comfortable, rewarding and fun without spending tons of money.
    Wow Danna, bottom line, that is what it is all about - success! Cheers to you!

Williamsmith
    Just got my auto insurance renewal and it went up about 15% over last year mostly due to replacing a vehicle with a newer model. The home owners insurance also went up about 10% mostly just because the company figures they can charge it and I won’t shop around. I got to thinking about my payment method, electronic check issued from by banks free bill payer account. I don’t get any discount for using this. But if I use my MasterCard I get 2% cashback. I recently found another credit card offer that gives 3% on all grocery and gasoline purchases. So using my MasterCard for the other payments and this other card I stand to recoup a nice bit of the increases I suffered. Chipping away at it is the only way to stay afloat.

Yppej
    I am babying my car battery along to try to get more life out of it. At its recent 60K checkup the dealer marked off that it was fine, but I don't think they really checked it. It is 4 years old, parked outdoors, and twice lately after driving short distances on cold mornings I have trouble starting it up again. It also has a rough idle if I am at a stoplight a long time which may or may not be related. So I am making sure I drive it for awhile before stopping. Today for instance I got gas on the way home instead of on the way to work.

If it does die on me my AAA membership has a reasonably priced battery replacement service. But in the past I've been able to use batteries for a while after this type of problem starts.

I have some frugals to share. DH really needed new slippers and shoes. He has a wide foot and a bad back, and he walks 5 - 10 miles a day, so we cannot skimp on his footwear. We got 2 offers from Zappos and saved $30 on the slippers and $25 on the walking shoes, so those were good savings on items we really did need to buy.
    Those of you who have been around for awhile may or may not recall that I was a heavy smoker for a very long time. DH and I quit in 2012 when he developed some significant health issues. He quit cold turkey, but I have chewed Nicorette for the past 6 years. I was pretty OK with the Nicorette, since I had no desire to smoke, felt so much better, and I was still saving tons of money compared to buying cigarettes. I was really doing micro-doses, because I bought the lowest dose gum and cut it into quarters. In any event, I believe I have successfully transitioned to Doublemint gum. I haven't had any nicotine since 3/11/18. I always got a good price on Nicorette at Costco, but Doublemint is way cheaper.

Yppej
    Excellent with getting off the Nicorette RR.

I have not rushed in to rescue DS from the consequences of his poor driving decisions by hiring him a private lawyer. ETA: that may come down the road based on what charges come, and input from forum members on another thread I posted, but I am not rushing or panicking.

Also turned down a job offer because the pay was less and the benefits more expensive and the commute only negligibly better. It seemed like it would be a nicer work environment but you never know in advance, so I figured better the devil I know rather than take a pay cut on a gamble.
    Last edited by Yppej; 3-21-18 at 9:17pm.

That sounds like the wisest choice on the job, Yppej. Unfortunately, it is so hard to assess the culture and social environment of a workplace from the outside.

Thread Information