Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: March Frugals!

March Frugals!

I think it's fair to say I haven't been a paragon of frugality this year, so I'm going to try to do better in March. I do have a couple of social things planned for this month, but other than that, I shall strive to be virtuous! And for the two social things, I shall strive to remain reasonable!
    We came in under budget for groceries and Costco this week, so that's a good start. I also submitted for another $25 MasterCard reward from the Black Box wine program.

Yppej
    I also need to do better this month. Today I went to a store for an item but it wasn't in stock. I almost bought something else that I saw while browsing, which I had tried on and it fit well, but I stopped myself.

We did pretty well on frugals in February; so far, March has continued the run.

- Got a revised Form 1098 from our mortgage lender; it should result in a slight addition to our refund but it could get wiped out by what it (may) cost for the accountant to re-file. I trust our accountant, but if he spends time, it costs him (and, therefore, us). Maybe better to not have him spend the time for the little we'll get back. Wonder if there's a way to find out if we net out in the black on this.
    - Still (!) eating out of our freezer. I didn’t realize how many bags of frozen vegetables I'd bought over the past few months. They'll be eaten, little by little.
    - Shopping around our home/auto/umbrella insurance. Looks like we can save several hundred dollars by moving to another company. And that apparently that's the way the business works: loyal long-time customers don't get much love from the companies that insure them. Of course, no one can tell us what a claims experience would be like with a different company. But I'm hopeful we'll never know. The interesting thing is that so much of the "conventional wisdom" is that increasing deductibles will lower premiums significantly. I'm not seeing that. Moving a deductible from $250 to even $1000 has a payback you can measure in decades. Even dropping collision/comprehensive for my 15-year-old car doesn't seem to move the needle as much as one would think.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    I would like to shop my homeowners insurance but if you switch the new company sends a spy out to nitpick at your property and demand repairs that in my opinion aren't needed. I learned this the hard way. Also my electric could be more than 35 years old (I don't know when it was upgraded to circuit breakers) and the wiring is original so I am not insurable by the company that does my auto insurance, who I like.

Today was a no spend day.

I know that "save money by buying stuff" frugals are (and should be) suspect, but there could be some useful info here, so I have to share it. I needed nail polish and eye shadow and my inventory has been getting lower and lower so I needed to finally take action. I had scoped out the best prices for my preferred brands on Amazon, but on a whim, checked eBay. I was able to get the nail polish that would have cost me $5.00 per bottle on Amazon for 3 bottles/$8.50 on ebay, and I was able to get the eye shadow for $14 instead of $24, with free shipping on both. I've had similar experiences in the past, so I am inclined to think I should always check ebay first before making an Amazon purchase. I saved almost $17!
    I listed another item on ebay today. It says my chances of selling are low at the price I'm asking, but I figure I'll give it a shot. If the price is too low, it isn't really worth the trouble and I would just as soon donate it.

Called the cable company about a an advertised flyer price for very basic tv and internet service. We already have both but thought this advertised price would same us. Turns out we basically HAD the package offer but the only difference in what I had versus the package offered was that my services were not "bundled". Got it bundled which reduced monthly bill about $2-3 bucks a month, but also increased our internet from 7 to 25... whatever it's called. (LOL)

Side note, the package was advertised at $49.99 a month, we pay $71. a month. The package WITH taxes and fees ends up being what we pay! I find it incredulous that taxes and fees = $21.00!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I am inclined to think I should always check ebay first before making an Amazon purchase.
    This has been an interesting side effect as ebay transitions from being the world's largest auction house to a general-selling venue. I've had especial luck finding good prices on no-longer-current items like ink cartridges for our old printer, remotes for an older garage door opener, etc. Maybe Amazon can match those prices, but Amazon already gets enough business from us.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I buy Lupine leashes and collars for my dogs and they come with a guarantee against damage, even by chewing. We have an enthusiastic puppy who chews through her own leashes and also her sister's collars and leash. So I found three items she chewed and sent them to the company in New Hampshire and within a few days, had two new leashes and one new collar. here is their website:

https://www.lupinepet.com/

I had a real mixed bag today of frugals and unfrugals. I did sell DH's t-shirt for $51., and I have a $9.99 offer on a bandanna I just re-listed (the auction on that one runs until next week). I'm not so sure the $10 stuff is worth it after eBay and PayPal take their fees, but it is kind of fun turning old stuff we don't want into cash. It can be easier to let something go if you can get some cash back for it.
    I went shopping with my sister today. She treated us to lunch and I paid the tip, but I did get us a 25% discount by posting our lunch on a Facebook dining page that the restaurant participates in. We went to Savers and I got a new pair of Merrell walking shoes that don't look like they were ever worn, and I only paid $10. after the Tuesday senior discount! We went to another thrift store where I scored a brand new pair of Talbot's summer pants for $4.75. So I got two fantastic deals, but I did spend $$ I probably didn't need to spend, although I retired my spring/fall walking shoes last year and could probably justify the shoes before a jury of my peers.
    I spent $20 on paczkis at the bakery and I really can't even try to justify that, but they were so damned good!

Yppej
    I am still searching for comfortable bras. Went to another store and didn't like any and resisted the temptation to look at anything else.

Thread Information