Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spoke up for myself,

That means soooo much!

I just had coffee with a work colleague, and I am much more encouraged. I trusted him to share that I want to find a new job, and he responded in an unexpected way. He has a lot of connections in our program and other programs as a data expert so he was able to tell me about a job somewhere, and what may happen in our department in the future (possible new grant based site under the grant I have worked before). He was very encouraging to me, saying that it would be a big loss to the department if I left. The last person I talked to said they could give me a reference but then said it was sometimes just time to leave, which is fine of course.

One thing that came out of the conversation was what I am good at and looking for as compared to what I am currently working with and not great at. My program is at a sustaining level right now, making small changes over time to wean ourselves off the last grant. Honestly it is getting boring. The job is basically gong through all the checklists and trying not to miss anything, My favorite years were the times when I was doing a brand new program that no one else had done (blended grant and fee based), we had no answers or blueprint. It was intellectually challenging and that makes my job much more interesting. There was more vision involved in the program, and critical problem solving,

those are great insights to bring to the job application and interview process.

I talked to my mom and said I would do better in a job that had not really been done before, or been done in that way before. She kinda snorted and said 'good luck'. Honestly a LOT of people would not want a job like that, they may like the idea of it but not the reality of it. A mental set back there.

I think that I have brought my fresh approach to every job that I had. I do question if there is another approach for me to try and ask those around me "how do you see this?" It gives everyone a chance to have some input if so inclined. Someone pushy could demand that it be done his/her way, I suppose.

That said, when one has exhausted all the options and things are tediously the same, it is time to move on if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I talked to my mom and said I would do better in a job that had not really been done before, or been done in that way before. She kinda snorted and said 'good luck'. Honestly a LOT of people would not want a job like that, they may like the idea of it but not the reality of it. A mental set back there.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

You deserve a great job and i hope you find one! You have a lot to offer.

Thread Information