Thread: Do you know anything about fitness certifications?

Do you know anything about fitness certifications?

So I see a part time job in teaching meditation and mindfulness through the city. It looks good, for seniors and on-call basically. However it says don't apply unless you have a certification, and there are no certifications in teaching mindfulness or meditation! I have recommendations from my teachers possibly and a certification in teaching youth mindfulness, there just isn't a standard certification that I am aware of.

Any advice? Should I call someone and ask? Send in a resume of experience in this area with a recommendation letter? Reach out to a contact person who has worked with them? Argh?

I would call because it is probably just standard verbage and mindfulness is pretty recent type of class. Call where you would apply as if you had a question on any part of the application process.

At least start there.

Note: If it is under fitness, they are looking for people who teach those types of classes involving movement that know what they are doing so as to avoid injury. I would hope those teaching cooking also have taken basic sanitation and food service certifications also. But mindfulness????

Yeah I know about the mindfulness thing, I have certification through Mindful Schools and Mental Health First Aid (plus regular FA/CPR). That is all more geared towards youth however. But I do feel I have the qualifications. I have some ways of talking through different postures, breathing and ways to work with your body as it is during a mindfulness session. I also have been practicing long enough that I know some of the common things to come up when you sit for a long time. There is a list of what instructors should have from Mindfulness in Education Network as a recommendation (not a certification) and I meet those qualifications. One is a long time of practice, and there is no way around that.

edited to add: I talked to my friend who has worked with them and then sent an email asking for advice on how to proceed.

Thread Information