Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Does Donald Trump have single redeeming human quality?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I think "hate" might mean different things to different people. I DO think about Trump as a small child, and how his parents (especially father) must have treated him, to make him think the way he does...........Or, maybe he was born this way. Yes, I can feel sorry for him.
    I was raised by a hateful man......I think he was a narcissist too, or maybe just so damaged from his own childhood. But my point is, I was different than Trump (and my father)....and capable of great compassion. I've always wondered why some people can "rise above" their upbringing, and some become an extension/mirror of the cruel people in their childhoods.

But........no matter how awful someone's childhood was, they eventually are responsible for who they have become. Hopefully, they have the introspection to help guide them to a different way to live and feel. I don't feel that Trump has this ability.......nor the desire. I'm not saying people aren't redeemable, ....and maybe some are just too broken, but I sure don't see any chink in Trump's emotional armor.
    You raise great questions, Cathy. You rose above being raised by a nasty father (by your description). I often wonder about Trump's father. Interesting dynamic with the two sons--one becomes a narcissist/meglomaniac and the other dies an alcoholic.

There was a quote that I've always loved that I thought Will Rogers said: "I can't hate anyone I know" But I just tried to find it online and the quote is actually "I never met a man I didn't like." Kind of the same thing.

But the closest I found to the quote I'm thinking of is by Margaret J. Wheatley: "You can't hate anyone whose story you know." I think that's true.

I don't hate Donald Trump but he bugs the heck out of me, and makes me shake my head in bewilderment. I do hate his policies, however, particularly the ones that are hostile to the environment--and there are so many of them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Don't hate; more repulsed by him.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Don't hate; more repulsed by him.
    you and Melania
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    you and Melania
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

This whole situation makes me think of "The Beverly Hillbillies Go to Washington." Sometimes you have to laugh, if only for a moment. And then get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    you and Melania

I wonder if we'll see a book in the future called something like "Trumpy Dearest".

I don't care how rich he is, I can't imagine being married to him. Nothing would be worth that. YUK.

Is it time for two minutes hate again?

My watch must be slow.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

My watch must be slow.
    Trump, the new Goldstein, although the object of scorn is irrelevant, it's the hate that's important.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    You know, about Donald J Trump.....I never posted this here but I did recently have rare kind words for him which I posted on Facebook which stunned a few people on my FB page. So what did Trump do that I approve of, you ask? Fair question. He signed some legislation recently that enables sick Americans to the right to try experimental treatments that not have not yet cleared the FDA, thereby saving very sick people the need to flee the United States to access this care. This I very much approve of.

The love didn't last long, however, as the very next day he did something inhumane that totally pissed me off. But to his credit, this hard core liberal wishes to say one positive thing.....I am glad Trump signed this very humane legislation, pissed off at him though I continue to be. It's better than batting a total zero and it may help desperate people. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

My watch must be slow.
    While I agree that vague, directionless hate is not particularly productive, you have to give the man credit. As a reality tv star, par excellence, he's a master at creating new things to keep these two minute sessions fresh and vibrant.

Not sure that fits the OP's definition of "redeeming quality" but hey, at least I just gave him props for having an impressive skill...

Thread Information