Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid-life career change is it possible? is it a good idea?

Medical records management, medical equipment repair? I always said the only medical job that would suit me was forensic pathology, but there's more variety out there now.

Yppej
    My grandfather switched from farming to x-ray technician late in life. He did have some college from when he studied agriculture prior to going back to school.

How about something in pharmacy, like pharmacy assistant? Dental tech, building prosthetics and the like? Or (forgive me, I don't know what your recent job entailed) doing the same thing as your previous job in a medical practice or hospital?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I ran into a friend who totally changed careers 4 years ago and went into the medical field, When asked, she said "decent people skills, good team player, ease with computers, are the prerequisites for all of the imaging, teach, lab jobs. Pck something and train intensely, one of the 4 or 5 month full time trainings, and pick one with an internship. Once you get in as an intern, they see you, they like you, the interview becomes just a formality."

How about something in pharmacy, like pharmacy assistant? Dental tech, building prosthetics and the like? Or (forgive me, I don't know what your recent job entailed) doing the same thing as your previous job in a medical practice or hospital?
    database development, but apparently not in any capacity fancy or maybe senior enough that the phone is ringing off the hook, though I did produce real, and lasting, and even complimented work in the last job (for the end results, and even asking all the right questions to get there etc.). Then again I guess this isn't silicon valley here either, ha to the extent that databases are ever that sexy . Ok they probably aren't ... boring and unappreciated, what a combo (truthfully didn't mind it at the time though). Maybe I don't choose the very best jobs, although even bad jobs are better than no job now.

Maybe being unemployed 4-5-6 months OR MORE is actually kind of NORMAL these days, sometimes I get that impression from some people locally, though I'm not that at ease with it! Training does start to sound better, although I am skeptical (not because it's impossible or anything, but because easy solutions aren't always).
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 4-3-18 at 1:02am.
    Trees don't grow on money

Well an interview this week for a contact position, so that's 4 weeks in a row. I guess when my problem isn't getting interviews (and I wasn't getting so many before), it's still getting a job. I may have to admit that the interview process for me is grueling, and yea getting a job via internship sounds like paradise at this point! But hope something works out sometime soon. Ok unemployment is only so interesting. It's just pain and life contains much pain we can just endure and keep keeping on.

If nothing works, I'll have to get a new career, if stuff works, eh well I still might end up doing something different eventually but I'll take work, as I still do think about a career where age isn't an issue etc.. Unemployment does give one time to think.

ApatheticNoMore,

I wish you a life of ease and comfort, with secure and satisfying work.

I see that Tammy and others have mentioned health-related fields, and I agree there is tremendous demand there. I never undertook a mid-life career change, because luckily I was never terminated. However, I did have a
    "Plan B", just in case. And that was (drumroll, please...) learning how to take care of old people's feet.

One good thing about that line of work is: one doesn't see blood. (One hopes!). I thought there would be possibilities to set my own hours, income and working radius. (Have Emory Board, Will Travel). There may be a licensing requirement where you live.

It's my 3rd time unemployed in my life and I've been though almost all scenarios (laid off due to financial conditions at company, quit an untenable situation, fired). I'm not always losing jobs or anything, I have decent tenure at several companies (at least for the modern world private sector where people don't stay at a job forever, as some recruiters have even said it is a selling point - my "long" tenure some places). But yea one does get tired of it: unemployment, YET AGAIN? There may be reasons it takes me awhile to find a job when I am unemployed again (though not so much for lack of looking). This time has been hard.

What kind of work gives you the most joy?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I dont know, ANM, I like databases. Working with the data was the interesting part of my job. The humans, not so much. I couldnt have done it without you
    IT types.

Thread Information