Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: ANone else notice the difference

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    833

    ANone else notice the difference

    -- between the practice of veterinarian medicine and the practice of human medicine?

    It always strikes me.
    The first thing the vet does is run blood tests.
    The first thing the doctor does is write a prescription, and says, if that doesn't help, come back in...

    Anyone else notice this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,632
    No. My doc does labs whenever they are needed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,748
    I think the vet has to take labs to diagnose because unfortunately the animal can't describe what's wrong.

    However, I've often said that our true "family doctor" is the vet. We have known him for over 20 years, we love seeing him, he sits with us and chats, is very attentive, gives sound advice, and an out-of-pocket expense typically doesn't kill our budget.

    How many MDs can you say that about? Although I really love our people doctor for many of the same reasons. He's a very good diagnostician, gives me a lot of time in consultation, and he'll suggest pharmaceutical treatments but doesn't ram them down my throat.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,948
    Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    -- between the practice of veterinarian medicine and the practice of human medicine?

    It always strikes me.
    The first thing the vet does is run blood tests.
    The first thing the doctor does is write a prescription, and says, if that doesn't help, come back in...

    Anyone else notice this?
    No. That's not how I have been trained to practice, and that's not how any of the doctors I see practice.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,956
    My dog and my husband both went in within a two week period. Husband got an exam and ultrasound. Dog got blood work and a prescription for an antibiotic.
    Not quite sure what the question is--if dog does not get better, dog will probably be euthanized, God help me, as I hate seeing her suffer. Husband, no. So there is an enormous difference right there.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,252
    I think what you are saying is that doctors of both ilk now rely on testing and pharmaceuticals before applying their knowledge, experience and intuition to diagnose and/or treat health situations. Just kind of the way it is now what with lawsuits and insurance issues. When I went to the dentist this past week, they made me have x-rays before and after placement of the crown and they took an actual photo with a camera of the tooth right before the crown was placed. That's a new one for me. When I asked why, she said some insurers require proof that the crown was actually done.

  7. #7
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,948
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I think what you are saying is that doctors of both ilk now rely on testing and pharmaceuticals before applying their knowledge, experience and intuition to diagnose and/or treat health situations. .
    The current standard of practice is "Evidence Based Medicine", precisely to avoid misdiagnosis from the practitioner's biases, lack of education, and lack of experience.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence-based_medicine

  8. #8
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,395
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    No. That's not how I have been trained to practice, and that's not how any of the doctors I see practice.
    I didn't know you were a vet or an M.D. bae.

  9. #9
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,948
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I didn't know you were a vet or an M.D. bae.
    I practice under an MD's license/authorization/supervision, at least on people.

  10. #10
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,395
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I practice under an MD's license/authorization/supervision, at least on people.
    Are you talking about being an EMT?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •