Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Having a bit of an identity crisis.....work related.......

Whenever I have a hard decision like that, I throw the future into the mix. How will it benefit me down the road? I am not understanding what your decision has to do with your hood and beliefs. Would it not be better to move forward than stay stuck just because others are? Or maybe I am missing the point.

I understand Warren Buffet lives in the same modest house he's lived in all his married life, and I bet he's supportive of his community, too. You don't have to wear a hair shirt to make a difference.

What's your relationship with the 85006 and Austria that you've given them control over your life? Or, is that just an excuse not to leave your comfort zone?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

So, let me see if I understand this correctly, having a professional job betrays the neighborhood and the working class people there? Does it somehow destroy your “street cred” or something like that? I don’t get the Austria connection, though. Seems I’m not the only one missing that connection.

How do those in your neighborhood react when one of their own “makes good”? Do they consider it a betrayal, the person getting too big for their britches, or consorting with the enemy, a Spanish equivalent of an “Uncle Tom”?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Polo shirts and khakis?
    If the khakis required a red armband, then I could see a problem with Austrian heritage maybe?

As is, didn't he have a post some time back, about buying a nice impeachment outfit, that might be "professional dress".
    As to the vehicle, there was a local caterer I knew, that always had used vans with better then 100K on them, they just looked clean. (figuring he would have to transport stuff to/from events)
    Professionally he looked good, but he was an idiot. When they catered an award event for Anwar Sadat's wife (peace prize thing), he had to be told to not bring the recovered/spoils of war, silver serving steamer things that had swastika's on them.
    What does your zip code have to do with any of this? Are you afraid they will protest you?

I should have mentioned the book "The Millionaire Next Door". People with fancy trappings are often empty in the pocket.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's hard for me to reply quickly as this is Peak Season in Phoenix right now and I'm swamped with work.....but my checks are reflecting that and for that I am grateful.

About the Austrian flag and the issue of respect.....not to beat a dead horse (and it really is at this point for those of you familiar with my posts).....as I see it Austria is a much better country than the United States. The standard of living there is noticeably higher for everyday people and there is much more security in life there as far as almost everyone qualifies for social welfare of some sort, with no insane and soul crushing stigma attached to such as in the US as a social engineering vehicle to keep more money in the upper classes (13 years old when I knew this). Socialized medicine, six weeks off with pay every year, a month's salary bonus right before Christmas every year....the quality of life in Austria truly makes America look pathetic. No getting around this one I'm afraid for those unable to drink US society's Kool-Aid such as myself.

Given the above, and the fact that Austria has a much more equitable distribution of wealth and without the social requirement that life exists only for work as it does in America.....of course I am going to consider myself Austrian over being American. Who wouldn't given these facts of cold-blooded common sense? As to how this ties into interviewing for a higher position, I worry that I am being disrespectful to Austria as in Austria you are looked down on and disrespected for trying to rise much higher over your station in life. Austria is a country in which the majority of the population is much more equal and there is blessedly little reason or incentive to keep reaching for more and keep reaching higher - yet another reason why the quality of life in Austria is so much higher than in America. It is very important to me to respect my heritage - other than issues in the two major world wars (Austria's past is less than innocent, I admit this here and now) Austria really does have it's act together and is a better deal than America. Of course I am going to be guided by this fact in most life decisions of any weight.

I also don't wish to be disrespectful to the 85006 - it is only luck that has allowed me to bank some money - luck that not all 85006 residents are going to experience. And given that I know the truth about America, it indeed would be disrespectful to rise too high or at least ever show off my bigger checks or ever flaunt any money period. I could not do this as I have known too much fear of the United States and how little human life means here as is evidenced by the inhumane and extremely insulting lack of socialized medicine for all.

Getting to the point - for some of you, applying for a higher job is not going to be so problematic as it is for me. Because of being able to see straight through this country I come with a great deal of social class baggage many of you are not going to understand. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Came back to add - about the car - I would need something fairly late model as this position involves some servicing of client accounts and appearance unfortunately comes into play at the expense of how much money I can bank against this citizenship. (i.e., how quickly can I get out of the rat race to justify exposing myself to this soul crushing emphasis on appearances over practicality). Due to having to drive clients to work sites for inspections of site process flow(s), auto appearances and office clothing costuming (read YMOYL for thoughts regarding costuming for office work) come into play whether I like it or not and these unreimbursed cash outflows have to be cold-bloodedly factored into any decision I make.

I will be off next Monday morning and will try to compute a real hourly wage for this position then. Rob

Rob, the European countries are small so it is much easier for these countries then for the US to afford and make policies. They are the size of one of our states. Not all of those countries are doing better then us. The Poles have had to go t other countries for jobs and even though they have universal healthcare the cost of living is high in comparison to what they earn. I think it is wise to compare what you will need to buy if you get the new position to see if it makes financial sense.

I would think all the refugees flooding into European countries will be putting a lot of stress on the welfare systems.

Thread Information